Check Engine Light & Brake Light on at same time
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Check Engine Light & Brake Light on at same time

crv|oc Rank: Member

Question Check Engine Light & Brake Light on at same time

Hi,

I have a 2001 CR-V with 155,000 miles.
    For the past few weeks my check engine light and brake light have come on at the same time. When I start the car, the check engine light flashes for a few seconds and then goes solid. The brake light stays solid the whole time. The car does seem to be riding somewhat "clunky"...I know that's not very descriptive, but that's the only way I can describe it. Haven't noticed any noises or anything.

I've spent quite a bit of money on the car recently and hate the idea of spending more, and honestly can't afford it right now.

Anyone have any ideas? I'd like to know if this is something I can wait awhile on...or if this is something urgent that needs immediate attention.

Any advice or thoughts are appreciated

Thanks!

MB
    Last edited by mb1207; 01-24-2011 at 10:25 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    There are plenty of posts about brake lights staying on. Make sure the parking brake is fully released and also make sure the brake fluid is topped off. Some people also recommend cleaning out the strainer under the cap or flushing the fluid. My light would come on when cold during my first winter with it and start flashing and eventually go off as I drove. The flashing was timed to hitting the brakes. My fluid was right about in the middle between low and full. I filled it up to the full line and never had a problem again.

As for the engine light, can't help with that.

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Thanks for the tips!

crv|oc Rank: Senior
    Get the code read for free at AutoZone or similar.
    On my friend's 2000CRV, the brake light would also come on when cold and later go out when the engine warmed up.
    Clean the screen in the brake fluid reservoir, suck the old brake fluid ( or better yet, totally flush the system) out of the reservoir (turkey baster.etc) and put in new Honda approved brake fluid.
    Hopefully that will solve that problem.
    Buffalo4
    PS: Perhaps the fluid reservoir is just low. Have you ever flushed the system? If not, it is time to do it.
    Note: there may be other reasons that the Brake warning light is on.
    Last edited by Buffalo4; 01-25-2011 at 10:41 AM.

6. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements