Drive Shaft and U-Joint
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Drive Shaft and U-Joint

crv|oc Rank: Member

Drive Shaft and U-Joint

Hey guys,

I just got my CR-V back from the oil change center and they guy told me that they noticed my U-joint was a little loose. He told me that he tried looking up this part, but it wasn't easy to find. He the said that it was usually easier and more common to replace the entire drive shaft which would run me about $1300. He said that because the way things were installed, that was really the only way to go.

I have a few questions and please bear with my vagueness/ignorance as I am not well versed with what goes on under the hood.

1. From what I gather in a quick search, the U-joint is what connects my back axle to the transmission and allows me to have 4WD. What kind of symptoms do I need to look for to tell if my U-Joint is on the verge of failing? Will it be catastrophic failure? Is this something I should get fixed immediately?

2. Does the mechanics solution and cost sound reasonable? Should I get a second opinion?

3. My 2001 CR-V is a manual with 160,000 miles on the original transmission and second timing belt. For the most part, it stills runs great. I haven't noticed any other major issues while I drive. The mechanic said I should hear "clunking" which I don't think I've heard. Is it worth it to repair my CR-V or should I think about getting a new one?

Any answers and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by carnahanad View Post
    Hey guys,

I just got my CR-V back from the oil change center and they guy told me that they noticed my U-joint was a little loose. He told me that he tried looking up this part, but it wasn't easy to find. He the said that it was usually easier and more common to replace the entire drive shaft which would run me about $1300. He said that because the way things were installed, that was really the only way to go.
    I have a few questions and please bear with my vagueness/ignorance as I am not well versed with what goes on under the hood.
    1. From what I gather in a quick search, the U-joint is what connects my back axle to the transmission and allows me to have 4WD. What kind of symptoms do I need to look for to tell if my U-Joint is on the verge of failing? Will it be catastrophic failure? Is this something I should get fixed immediately?
    2. Does the mechanics solution and cost sound reasonable? Should I get a second opinion?
    3. My 2001 CR-V is a manual with 160,000 miles on the original transmission and second timing belt. For the most part, it stills runs great. I haven't noticed any other major issues while I drive. The mechanic said I should hear "clunking" which I don't think I've heard. Is it worth it to repair my CR-V or should I think about getting a new one?
    Any answers and suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    The most common symptom of a bad U-joint/prop shaft is vibration. The vibration can be isolated by first noting the frequency and matching it to the rotation (RPM) of the prop shaft assembly. The problem can further be isolated by simply removing the prop shaft assembly and running without it for a while. If you have not experienced vibration in the prop shaft, you are not close to a "catastrophic" failure and can probably get a few more miles out of it.

The estimate given seems a little high. The following is a link to the replacement assembly and pricing:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...ROPELLER+SHAFT

The assembly replacement is a quick and relatively easy job and should not take more than a half hour (if that).

The Cardan type U-joint bearing caps are staked into place at the factory, which is why the prop shaft assembly is usually replaced as a unit. Note, however, that a good drive line shop should be able to grind out the stakes in the companion flange seats, dress the seats and then replace the Cardan joints and re-balance the shaft assembly. This version of the fix is half the assembly replacement cost or less. It just takes the right shop (usually catering to trucks).

Good luck with your fix and please let us know how it goes.
    Last edited by tsmithvt; 01-30-2011 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Fixing English

Thanks

Hey,

Thanks for the input. I think I'm going to take it to another guy and talk with him and relays some of the info you've given me. I appreciate the input, and I'll let you know how it goes!

My uncle is a master mechanic and told me nightmares about the CRV. He said great little SUV's, but overpriced to repair. He told me he fixed his friend's CRV's rear drive shaft. He was able to work some kind of magic to save it. He told me to expect to pay an east $1k for a new one. I told my wife to buy the Jeep Cherokee. I can work on that one. She had to have the underpowered Honda. Don't get me wrong, it does great in the snow and all........ I wanted to Gen 2 or a Cherokee or a Ford Escape.

My CRV was giving me the infamous vibration! After having it checked out we confirmed indeed it was the drive shaft. I was also quoted a crazy price by my so called "Honest" mechanicright about 1200 and some change. I laughed when he told me that was with him giving me a good price. My search began... sense these repair shops were trying rob me with out soo much as putting a gun in my face. I found a rebuilt option online for under $425 alot better than 1200!!!. Had it installed and my CRV is running like a champ again! already put about 8k on it and still smooth sailing.
    MY ADVICE DONT BUY FROM THE DEALER!, DONT HAVE IT INSTALLED BY A CROOK.

http://www.wholesaleimportparts.com/...Driveshaft.php

crv|oc Rank: Senior
    Quote Originally Posted by paragrunt View Post
    My uncle is a master mechanic and told me nightmares about the CRV. He said great little SUV's, but overpriced to repair. He told me he fixed his friend's CRV's rear drive shaft. He was able to work some kind of magic to save it. He told me to expect to pay an east $1k for a new one. I told my wife to buy the Jeep Cherokee. I can work on that one. She had to have the underpowered Honda. Don't get me wrong, it does great in the snow and all........ I wanted to Gen 2 or a Cherokee or a Ford Escape.
    Some mechanic. He should know that you can get a rebuilt driveshaft for about $300.

And I bet your used to working on Jeeps, ALL THE TIME! Talk about nightmares & overpriced to repair. Reliability goes out the window MUCH faster than any Honda. Seriously!

Sorry to cut you down, but my 2000 CRV drove flawlessly for 11 years until it was written off in an accident, and the $300 driveshaft was probably the biggest repair bill at one time. You cannot say that about a Jeep.
    Current owner of The Black Pearl 2009 EX-L Nav AWD CRV & a 2003 Acura EL
    Previous owner of an Inaugural 1997 Leased LX CRV and (2) 2000 EX CRV's
    2007 RTL Nav Ridgeline, 1996 Acura TL & 1994 DOHC VTEC del Sol

NEW Drive shaft

Just purchased a NEW drive shaft for my CRV from WholesaleImportParts.com Picked it for $313.00! best price I found by far. I have never dealt with this company before, but read/hear good things. Having the new drive shaft installed over the weekend, will follow up and let everybody know how it goes...

9. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements