08 CRV Rubber burning smell
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 08 CRV Rubber burning smell

crv|oc Rank: Member

Unhappy 08 CRV Rubber burning smell

Since we have owned our vehicle, when we get home from a drive we smell burning rubber from the back right wheel well area of our vehicle. We have taken it in to the dealer and they claim they can't find anything wrong. This has been going on for more than 2 years.....very disappointed.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Do you reside in an area where the roads are treated for winter? If so, try washing all the crud and residue off of the muffer, which is located to the inside of the right rear wheel. Pay particular attention to the top, especially around the heat shields.
    mook /muk/
    noun: Slang. An insignificant, contemptible, or incompetent person.

"Ah, women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent."
    Friedrich Nietzsche
    Motorcycle Riding in West By God Virginia

http://www.elementownersclub.com/for...postcount=3415

Check to see if the wheel is hot after your drive. If it is, you have a sticky brake.

Everything in Moderation Carbuff2's Avatar
    Listen to the Mook...

This smell has been part of the CR-V driving experience in northern climates, since at least the second generation. The smell comes from road salt/moisture accumulating, then burning off when you drive farther than usual.

Nothing is going to happen to your vehicle. Your nose might develop permanent wrinkles if you let it worry you.

Atwell "Buff" Haines
    '06 AWD CR-V, 5 speed MT!
    '07 Fit Sport, 5 speed MT!
    NJ

In theory, there is no difference between Theory and Practice. In practice, there is. - Yogi Berra

I have an 07 CRV and I also have noticed the smell - I did check and refill transaxle fluid as indicated by service manual and there was no change. To me this seems unusual but maybe its normal.
    If U have any feedback form other forum members let me know..

I live in Wisconsin so maybe the it is salt and road stuff.

Badger01 -

I think I know what causes this on my 04 CRV. It might help you on your later version.
    I have noticed a similar smell when the engine is warm and the tires have got wet. So I had a look around and found the inside of the rear tire closest to the exhaust was quite warm. I suspect that when the tire gets wet the heat creates an aroma of rubber. My rear tires are fairly new (400 miles).
    My guess is that as the tires age the smell will become less noticable. Check out the distance between your exhaust and the rear tire - it is only about 8 inches or so. I hope this helps.

This is a well known issue with no real answer to date. My 2003 SE EX has always done this after a wet run but this has not resulted in any damage or repairs, so dont worry about it

GTR
    I have a 2005 CRV, exactly the same smell, I have checked the tyres, brakes, drive and there are no faults, I thought it might be the tyre so I changed it to a bridgestone and still the smell is there. At work we use a fleet of 4x4 and we get the same smell from the Mitsi Shogun, these have been ionto the workshop on many occasions an never a fault is found, so the build up of road dirt on the exhaust may well be the cause.

I have the same smell on my 09 crv. In another forum I read, somebody had stated that Honda used an anti-corrosion formula on the exhaust system that, when it gets hot, produces a burning rubber smell. It's also been stated that this smell is more common in colder weather states where they treat the roads for ice. The road debris build up on the muffler will start to burn off and cause the smell from all of the oil/rubber in the debris. I haven't had a chance to look any farther into this, but figured it would be useful to somebody.

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    I just came back from a trip to Lake Tahoe and got the same smell on my 2011 V. The smell seems to only happen if we turn the heater on. If we turn off the heater/ac then there is no smell...

Also found these related discussion:
    http://www.automotiveforums.com/t175...ber_smell.html
    and
    Rubber Burning Smell

Can someone please post a photo or something to show where the inside of the right rear wheel (the heat shield) need to be cleaned? Also after driving to roads are treated for winter, do you recommend washing the undercarriage of the car to avoid future corrosion? If so, how do you wash it? Do you have to jack it up so that you can get access to the underneath of the car, or?? Thoughts or comments? Thanks!
    Last edited by ohman; 01-28-2013 at 02:26 AM.

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements