2001 Radiator Fans not working
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2001 Radiator Fans not working

crv|oc Rank: Member

2001 Radiator Fans not working

Looong time forum cruiser, first time post. Thanks to all for the great info on this forum!

2001 CRV - Both radiator fans have stopped working. Does anyone know what sensor(s) or relay(s) controls them, where it's located, and how to test?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    I can't help too much other than to ask if you have tried turning the A/C on. That should trigger both fans.

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by 2001CRVOwner View Post
    Looong time forum cruiser, first time post. Thanks to all for the great info on this forum!

2001 CRV - Both radiator fans have stopped working. Does anyone know what sensor(s) or relay(s) controls them, where it's located, and how to test?
    Check the under hood fuse box. I believe there is a 20amp fuse in there and I believe it also contains the fan relay. This fuse protects the fan motors.
    In the under the dash fuse box, I believe there is a 7.5amp fuse that protects the fan relay.
    The radiator fan switch in located somewhere behind the valve cover and more on the passenger side and it is on the thermostat housing, I believe. You will have to research this further on the Internet.
    I think once you locate the radiator fan switch, you could just jumper the two wires going to it to see if the fan(s) go on when the ignition switch is ON.
    If the fan(s) now go on, I would assume the switch is bad. I suppose you could remove it and suspend it in hot water and the two terminals should show closed (continuity) just before the water starts boiling.
    Just guessing in general. overall.

Buffalo4

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shryp View Post
    I can't help too much other than to ask if you have tried turning the A/C on. That should trigger both fans.
    I totally agree on the A/C switch, it's the first step in checking the radiator fans. If they come on with the A/C, it's not in the fuses. If they do not come on with the A/C turned on, then it's probably in the relay/fuses route.

Checking relays is pretty simple, turn on and listen for click. Sometimes they will click and still not make contact, but it's more common for them to fail in the switch (coil) and do nothing at all. Or find one that is the same part number in the panel (and non-critical) and swap them for testing.
    Last edited by HwyPilot; 05-07-2011 at 05:51 PM.

6. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements