Gear shift issue with CRV 2000 model
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gear shift issue with CRV 2000 model

crv|oc Rank: Member

Gear shift issue with CRV 2000 model

Lately i am beginning to face issues with Gear shift..especially from Park to Reverse. I have to move to Drive before moving up to reverse. Yesterday my gear got stuck between reverse and Park. I didn't know what to do and called AAA. The service person who came to tow my vehicle just used brute force to move the gear to Park. I will be taking my vehicle for service this weekend. Is there any specific checkpoints that i need to ensure that the service person does not miss?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    I had issues with mine where when I put it into D it jolted forward a bit then behaved as if it was in neutral. Investigation determined the linkage was sticking before getting into D and anything passed it could not be shifted to. A little oil fixed it.

I suppose if I would have went with the brute force method I could have accessed 2 and 1 on the gear shifter, but I didn't want to break anything.

Transmission Problem, or Driver Problem?

'04 Won't shift down to 2 or 1 gears

Thanks Shryp. I really appreciate the help. I'll make sure that is lubricated well.

No problem, let us know how it works out. Hopefully it is something cheap and easy like that. If you have a basic metric socket set you can do it yourself.

Any news? Exact same thing is happening to me now. I plan on opening up the cover and finding something I can lubricate easily.

When i went under the car i saw that it is fully covered. I thought it would be as easy as described by Shryp. As i have 0 experience with cars (This is my first car and i am a 10 month owner), i will be taking it a to a mechanic next week.

Yes, it is suppose to be fully covered. Mine has a small crack in it. It is relatively easy as it is only 3 bolts. The cover holds the shift cable in place though, so if you can't put it back on you will have a problem.

I'll try to post a picture later. I couldn't locate the V shaped cover with 3 bolts. The entire area under the transmission is covered by a black cover with some 20 odd screws. That's why i left it as i couldn't locate that V shaped cover shown in your picture .

Oh, I left that plastic cover in place unless yours has another cover. Coming straight out the back of the transmission you should see what looks like a big black bicycle brake cable. That is the cable that has the shift linkage in it. It goes right to the cover and you will see the 3 bolts. Two on 1 side at the bottom and 1 deep up about 6".

If yours is AWD, the cable comes in right next to the driveshaft.

It is pretty simple and would probably save yourself a lot of money if you can do it yourself, or maybe have a friend good with hand tools. As long as you can get the bolts out you should be fine. I don't think mine were too much trouble.

The 3 pictures of mine are taken from under the front bumper.

Once you have it apart you can move the little thing on the transmission and change gears from under the car so make sure the brake is set so it doesn't roll around if you decide to push the little pin back and forth. Also like I said in the other thread don't stab yourself with the clip holding everything together.
    Last edited by Shryp; 06-07-2011 at 08:42 AM.

11. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements