Heat shield pan fell off ( catalytic converter ? )
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Heat shield pan fell off ( catalytic converter ? )

crv|oc Rank: Freshman

Heat shield pan fell off ( catalytic converter ? )

Hello all,

I just had to pull out this shield from under my CRV as it was dangling , is it from the catalytic converter ? I tried to explain to dealer and they said they needed to replace the whole catalytic ...wtf

Here's the pic

http://flic.kr/p/9UoocU

Can I just buy that piece only ?

thx

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Member
    You can buy it seperatly. But save the money. Go to Pep boys or any auto store. Buy two big hose clamps. (The type you tighten by a screw) Place that broken shield where it belongs and put the clamps around it to secure the broken shield and the rest of it. That's what we used to do when I worked for Honda. Works great. Hose clamps will cost you couple of $.

Good luck!

Oh really ... Just a couple of hose clamps and it's ok to be around the converter without rattling?
    So it's the shield protecting the catylitic correct ?

thx

crv|oc Rank: Senior
    The shield is just so nothing under the car catches on fire if you are parked in the grass I think.

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Clamps will do. I took off the shields on my 98 civic about 3 years ago. BUT i'm the only one who drives the car and I know not to park on high grass or near any material that could catch on fire with the heat of the cat. My CRV, Accord and my 05 civic all have hose clamps. Put it on tight. They won't rattle. They can handle the heat.

What is causing those heat sheilds to fall off ? I saw another thread about this a while back to I looked at the one on my 2007 and it is all nice and tight.
    Is it the bolts that hold the two halves together either loosening and coming out or rusting out ? My bolts look rusty but all seems to be nice and solid under there.

Chould a person maybe remove those bolts and replace them with stainless steel ones before the trouble ever arrises ?

Everything in Moderation Carbuff2's Avatar
    In my experience (not just on Hondas) the heat shield's metal, AROUND the mounting bolts, rusts. The bolts themselves stay tight (and are usually rusted solid).

Look at the upper right hand corner of the OP's picture....
    Atwell "Buff" Haines
    '06 AWD CR-V, 5 speed MT!
    '07 Fit Sport, 5 speed MT!
    NJ

It's OK if you disagree with me.
    I can't force you to be right.

Quote Originally Posted by Carbuff2 View Post
    In my experience (not just on Hondas) the heat shield's metal, AROUND the mounting bolts, rusts. The bolts themselves stay tight (and are usually rusted solid).

Look at the upper right hand corner of the OP's picture....
    Great advice. Thanks for pointing that out .

SO . . . before the shield has a chance to rust , how about removing the rusty bolts and put some hight temperature grease like is used on brake parts on top and bottom of the shield and put new stainless stainless steel nuts and bolts along with washers (if there is room for washers) .

Just thinking along the lines of preventative maintenance verses replacement of expensive parts.

Then on the other hand, how many of us drive in long dry grass that could potentially cause a fire . Biggest concern there would be that it is not fair to deal the vehicle off on a newer one because the next owner just "might " get into a fire hazard if he / she didn't know it had been left off .

crv|oc Rank: Senior
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyoung View Post
    Great advice. Thanks for pointing that out .

SO . . . before the shield has a chance to rust , how about removing the rusty bolts and put some hight temperature grease like is used on brake parts on top and bottom of the shield and put new stainless stainless steel nuts and bolts along with washers (if there is room for washers) .

Just thinking along the lines of preventative maintenance verses replacement of expensive parts.

Then on the other hand, how many of us drive in long dry grass that could potentially cause a fire . Biggest concern there would be that it is not fair to deal the vehicle off on a newer one because the next owner just "might " get into a fire hazard if he / she didn't know it had been left off .
    I believe I read somewhere (yeah, somewhere I know ) that the heat shield really doesn't make any difference in a CC causing a grass fire, whether it is installed or not. Search it out on the Internet.

Buffalo4
    PS: Hell, why not just use the cheap hose clamps or just not reinstall it?

A set of stainless steel hose clamps will be MUCH LESS EXPENSIVE than getting a new set of heat shields. I have had this fix on my 97 CRV for over 10 years now and have also done this fix on my 05 Odyssey. The dealer wanted $350 for replacing the front heatshield on the odyssey, went to HomeDepot and got a clamp for $3.00, drove the van over a curb went under and did the fix in $10 minutes. Your Catalytic shield will take less time..

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements