Oil Leak from Sensor above Oil Filter
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil Leak from Sensor above Oil Filter

crv|oc Rank: Member

Oil Leak from Sensor above Oil Filter

I've noticed an oil leak lately. At first I thought it was dripping from the frame since I usually spill a bit when I'm removing the oil filter. Looking into it further, it seems the oil leak is coming from the sensor mounted right above the oil filter. Anyone got an exploded view or know what this is called? I need to see if the sensor is bad or if I can simply put a new seal on it. It's a 2004 CRV.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by s_jepson View Post
    I've noticed an oil leak lately. At first I thought it was dripping from the frame since I usually spill a bit when I'm removing the oil filter. Looking into it further, it seems the oil leak is coming from the sensor mounted right above the oil filter. Anyone got an exploded view or know what this is called? I need to see if the sensor is bad or if I can simply put a new seal on it. It's a 2004 CRV.
    That is the oil pressure sensor. The are famous for leaking. Should be about $20 at you local dealer.

Do I need to replace the whole unit or is there just a seal to replace?

Super Moderator
    You replace the whole unit..They don't have a replaceable seal on them.

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Most likely you have to replace the sensor. It usually leaks at the seam where the metal body is crimped around the bakelite or where the terminals exit. There is a slight posibility it could be leaking where the housing goes into the engine which is a tapered pipe thread in which case tightening the sensor a hair will stop the leak. Clean it with aerosol brake parts cleaner and see where it is leaking. Probably is the sensor itself.

Thanks guys. Changing out the spark plugs and pcv valve today. Will have to wait for the dealership to open on Monday to get the sensor.

Picked up the sensor and got it changed. Just hit 140k miles on it so trying to go through everything this weekend and tweak it up.

crv|oc Rank: Member CoCotheHouseBoy's Avatar

+1 - with picture

I think I may have found the same problem today, while I was changing the oil. I have attached a photo of where the problem lies. Can anyone confirm that this is the oil pressure sensor? It is a rubber boot overtop of a threaded nut, 2 wires out the back. It looks like it is leaking from where the wires go through the back, like was mentioned above.

Is this an easy fix - i.e. if you can change your own oil, you can replace this sensor, or should I get a professional to do it?

It doesn't look too bad, but I have not traced the wiring back to see where it leads.

Thanks for your help.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2004 CRV LX
    5-Spd Manual Trans.

That is the sensor. I changed mine no problem. $10 from the parts store. Just put a ratchet on it, unscrew it, put the new one in and tighten. What is just below and to the left of that? I noticed when looking for a different leak on mine there is a threaded hole into the engine, with a plug deep in it, I don't have the sensor coming out of it like you do.

I think I have the same issue - and I too do not have the 2nd sensor - just the plug. Anyone know what goes there? Also I have a lot of oil on the engine - would it throw a lot of oil with that sensor leak?
    2004 CRV LX auto - 190,000kms

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements