2011 CRV noise in rear when backing 1st am
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2011 CRV noise in rear when backing 1st am

crv|oc Rank: Member

2011 CRV noise in rear when backing 1st am

Every morning when back out of garage, 2011 CRV makes a creaking noise from the rear of the vehicle & definately is not brakes. After vehicle is driven noise goes away. Appears rear differentials have had numerous issues & some have fixed by simplying changing rear diff. fluid. Wondering if this is still an issue with 2011's as ours began doing it with under 1,000 miles, hasn't had the rear under water (unless occured when being transported new or at the dealer which I doubt). Have an appt. to have it checked & wondering should I request fluid be changed, have the vehicle run & then changed again? Is there any TSB on this? Thank you!
    Last edited by crv2011klr273; 09-19-2011 at 10:05 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Well, rear diff fluid is a normal maintenance item just like changing engine oil or coolant. That said, only 1000mi isn't anywhere near a rear diff fluid change (I recommend around 15K which is where the MM will prompt you as well).

Let the dealer's techs look at it under warranty.

Thank you! What does burnish mean?

We're going to have to drive hours to the dealer, so from the history of this noise only occuring 1st thing in the morning & never after its been driven, have a real concern dealer "won't be able to duplicate the problem", so plan on having the rear diff fluid changed & wondering if should have it done twice, with running the vehicle between changes & not familiar with the term "burnish" the clutch plate, as apparently the TSB advises to do with my symptoms. Since live so far from any Honda dealer, want to try to solve the issue with just one visit. Appreciate any advices & especially if other's with low mileage CRV's (now 7,000) have had similiar experiences & what you did to fix it. Thank you for your responses!

Logged in as a registered member on this site, I'm unable to access & print the TSB, so any hints on how to do same would also be appreciated.

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Don't laugh. My 2011 CR-V made a squeaking-rubbing noise when I reversed in my driveway. It took me a few minutes to figure out that the roof--higher than my previous car--was rubbing against some low-hanging tree branches.
    Is it possible that the creaking is caused by something in the garage? Just wondering.
    NRA GOA CSSA
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
    Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Definately not something rubbing on the car...9' garage doors & no trees in driveway.

Only occurs when backing & only 1st thing in the morning & when I backed all the way out my steep driveway yesterday for the 1st time, the "creaking" sound (similiar to the noise made when you get off an old metal spring bed) occured all the way, backing up the driveway. Yet after I drove down the road just a 1/4 mi. & tried to duplicate the noise backing up hill on my driveway, the noise was gone.

Almost sounds as if a coil spring was shifting slightly with metal on metal contact, but the fact it goes away after driving a short distance (until the car sits overnight), keeps me thinking has to do with rear differential issue.

Note we had basically the exact same vehicle, a '07 CRV EX-L, bought new & put 40,000 miles on & backed out of the exact same garage daily the entire time & never one time had this noise that occurs every single morning with our 7,000 mi. less than 6 mo. old 2011 EX-L??

Appreciate any thoughts or advices including educating me on "burnishing" so can discuss with dealer at our appt.

is it bumpy from the garage to drive way?

it can be the rear door lock, where the spring inside is loosen, or my car, some screw under the butt is loosen and contacting the car body.

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Sounds ilke it could be the parking brake hanging up when cold and releasing as you reverse.

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by crvee View Post
    Sounds ilke it could be the parking brake hanging up when cold and releasing as you reverse.
    I was about to suggest the same. Or maybe a stuck caliper. The rear ones will often stick in winter'y (ie, salty) climates. Normally, you need to clean and lubricate the slider pins every few years. However, at only 7K, hard to believe.

Other creaking noises might be suspension related (bushings, etc.)

Thanks guys...

Not bumpy from garage to driveway & the on & off creaking noise continues backing up my steep driveway ... yet as soon as drive a short distance & come back & try to duplicate it, the noise is completely gone, which is why I keep coming back to a fluid is heating up & thinning out.

I'm thinking wouldn't be the parking brake as we never engage it... If I'm wrong in my thinking, pls. educate me!

As far as a stuck caliper... been through that with our '07 CRV, as we live in a high snow belt area where the state only uses salt on the highways, so every year had the pins cleaned & lubed. This '11 was manuf Dec 2010 in Japan & we took delivery the very end of March with no miles on it, so hasn't had the salt exposure yet ... but will check that out & thank's for the suggestion!

The fact the noise is so consistant but only when the vehicle hasn't been run for at least 5-6 hours, I keep coming back to differential fluid related. Hoping the dealer will agree to change the fluid under warranty & see if that cures the noise, since so similiar to so many other postings on this site, especially with fact only occurs when backing...

It does actually sound like a coil spring coming in contact with metal, but doesn't make sense why once drive in the forward direction the noise completely goes away, even if thereafter try to back up to duplicate it??

You can burnish the clutch plates by turning left on full lock for several complete circles and then the same on right full lock. This will engage the rear diff and clean the clutch plates. At the dealers they lift all 4 wheels of the ground and with the car in gear stop one wheel from turning to do the same thing.

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements