Engine missing and 'CHECK' engine light flashing
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Engine missing and 'CHECK' engine light flashing

crv|oc Rank: Member

Engine missing and 'CHECK' engine light flashing

Help--
    We have a 2000 CRV with 138K miles. I set the valve clearances about a month ago, and now after about 1500 miles it is running rough at idle, seems to smooth out some at higher revs, but 'check' engine light flashes. There is also a very high pitched whistle (vacuum leak??) that I can barely hear, but I do have hearing aids and some loss at high frequencies... Any ideas out there??
    There is also a heavy ticking sound like maybe a rocker arm tapping.
    Thanks,
    John & Sue
    Last edited by sjthaxter; 10-26-2007 at 02:52 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Silver
    Quote Originally Posted by sjthaxter View Post
    Help--
    We have a 2000 CRV with 138K miles. I set the valve clearances about a month ago, and now after about 1500 miles it is running rough at idle, seems to smooth out some at higher revs, but 'check' engine light flashes. There is also a very high pitched whistle (vacuum leak??) that I can barely hear, but I do have hearing aids and some loss at high frequencies... Any ideas out there??
    There is also a heavy ticking sound like maybe a rocker arm tapping.
    Thanks,
    John & Sue
    It could be a coincidence - the fairly recent valve adjustment. Go to any AutoZone, PepBoys, etc. and they can read the codes for you. As to the ticking sound, any chance you didn't get one of the locknuts properly tightened when you did the valve adjustment? It would be simple enough to pull the valve cover and re-check the valves. just re-use the valve cover gasket. Also carefully check each plug wire and take the opportunity to look at the plugs.
    99 V 151k miles, 04 V 62k miles - Both red, of course.

Thanks for the answer 2 red's. I have it pulled down now, and think the clearances are still OK. I'm still in the process of checking. I also pulled the plugs, and they all look the same. They do have about 40K miles on them. What would be the symptoms of a valve sinking into the head?? Is there a service bulletin on this issue that you know of, and what number? Thanks again for the help. I didn't want to drive it till I found some things out first. I'm guessing a recessed valve wouldn't be good to drive with. Thanks again.
    Regards,
    John & Sue

Have you pulled out and cleaned the IAC (idle air control) valves? When the screens get dirty/plugged, it can give rough idle and smooth out at higher rpm's. Distributor cap and rotor OK? If the valve clearances are OK, you shouldn't have a receding exhaust valve unless that was the first time it had ever been done and the damage was already there when you adjusted them, simply putting off the symptoms.

Thanks again 2Red's. I cleaned the screen in the IAC valve. No change. I went to AutoZone and the plug-in deal came up with Cyl #1 random misfire, Cyl #4 random misfire, and all cyls radom miss.
    Driving over there was really the first time I had the car at higheer speeds. The rough running is at all RPM's more or less. I got plugs, wires, distrib cap and rotor, and will get them on today. Will be back to let you know results.
    Thanks again.
    Regards,
    John

I sent you a PM.

Replacing the dist cap, rotor, plug wires and plugs all is fine. The codes are cleared and 'check' engine light is off. Thanks very much for the tips. Even tho it may not have been part of the problem I now know how to clean the IAC valve screen.
    Regards,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by sjthaxter View Post
    Replacing the dist cap, rotor, plug wires and plugs all is fine. The codes are cleared and 'check' engine light is off. Thanks very much for the tips. Even tho it may not have been part of the problem I now know how to clean the IAC valve screen.
    Regards,
    John
    Great news! I hope you have tens of thousands of trouble-free 1st gen driving ahead.

10. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements