Key is stuck in ignition, can't turn it off!!
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Key is stuck in ignition, can't turn it off!!

crv|oc Rank: Member

Post Key is stuck in ignition, can't turn it off!!

Hello, I'm new here so I'll give a quick background... Live in Pennsylvania, Owned my 1998 AWD CRV for 2 years, 310,000+ miles

Ok, here's my problem.. My husband was leaving work yesterday morning and was leaning in from the driver side to start it and warm it up. It seems his key wasn't in the ingition all the way when he turned it BUT it did start even with the key partly in (3/4 of the way). He got home and the key won't turn back to shut it off!!! Crazy! Ok so we disconnected the battery and it still continued to run. After taking it to a shop we now have to pop the hood and unscrew a fuse that is located at the top left corner of the engine to turn it off. The key does turn forward to start the car. So here I am going food shopping with my 3 children, opening the hood and unscrewing this fuse to turn my car off then opening the hood to screw the fuse in to start it Any ideas on how we can get the key out. NAPA wants to charge $270.00 for "something" (my husband knows what it is). My car is old with very high milage, I don't want to put that much into it and not right at Christmas time. HELP!!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    No amount of jiggling, wiggling and force (DON'T BREAK IT OFF!) will get it to turn back off?

Quote Originally Posted by Shryp View Post
    No amount of jiggling, wiggling and force (DON'T BREAK IT OFF!) will get it to turn back off?
    Try moving the gears and turn the steering wheel too while trying to remove the key.

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Congrats on the high miles! Something like your situation happened to me with a Chrysler minivan. A tow truck driver I know told me to whack the key hard, making sure the force is directed in a straight line and straight into the ignition barrel (same direction as inserting the key). It worked brilliantly. No clue if it would work for you, but doesn't sound like you've got much to lose. If you get the key out, I'd suggest spraying some graphite lube into the ignition barrel, but I'm guessing you may need a new ignition switch.
    Current Garage:
    2012 Honda CR-V EX AWD
    2006 Honda CR-V LX 2WD
    2008 Honda Fit Sport
    2004 Mazda3 Sport 2.3
    2003 Kawasaki ZR-7S

Don't waste time reading my motorcycling blog Tilted Horizons!

Stuck ignition key

Stuck ignition key.
    2000 CRV SE AWD Auto Trans 4 Cyl with 180,000 miles.
    The key was inserted and turned on the ignition, the car started and ran but would not turn counterclockwise to the 0 (zero) position to remove the key. It was stiff but would restart the car and turn it off.
    I searched the forum: Several posts gave suggestions, ie; key not fully inserted, try forcing it further with a blow directed straight in the direction the key is inserted; try forcing key (don't break it off) while turning wheel and moving gear lever, removing fuse #33
    Solution: One post said that the dealership suggested returning the gear lever to the PARK position forcefully......I slammed the lever into PARK and the key released...like nothing ever happened. Good luck to all with this problem.
    Last edited by MacMahon; 02-20-2012 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Mispelling

Last week, my '00 CRV decided to "keep" the key in the ignition. My problem was quickly & cheaply solved by squirting powdered graphite into the switch and working it around with the key. Switch now works as good as new!
    The key had been getting difficult to turn in the past and then totally froze while the car was running and would not turn off without a LOT of force. I was afraid of breaking off the key in the ignition. Needless to say, I am happy that a $5 tube of graphite fixed my problem without the $200 (plus labor) replacement part!
    Last edited by RetiredFirecracker; 05-30-2013 at 02:40 PM.

8. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements