Gas mileage dropping off
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gas mileage dropping off

crv|oc Rank: Member

Unhappy Gas mileage dropping off

Hi. I have a 2004 CR-V.

When I first got my CR-V back in June of 2004, I was getting about 380-400 miles per tank (I'd fill up 13-13.5 gallons).

Then, after the "break in period", I went for about 2 years staying steady at 350 miles per tank. (same driving conditions... just I guess the new car period wore off).

Well, starting this summer I saw a radical decline in my gas mileage. Right now I'm getting about 270-280 miles per tank. I'm pretty worried. Has anyone else had a problem like this or have any suggestions as to what might be causing the loss in gas mileage??

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Silver
    Quote Originally Posted by tootsierol12 View Post
    Hi. I have a 2004 CR-V.

When I first got my CR-V back in June of 2004, I was getting about 380-400 miles per tank (I'd fill up 13-13.5 gallons).

Then, after the "break in period", I went for about 2 years staying steady at 350 miles per tank. (same driving conditions... just I guess the new car period wore off).

Well, starting this summer I saw a radical decline in my gas mileage. Right now I'm getting about 270-280 miles per tank. I'm pretty worried. Has anyone else had a problem like this or have any suggestions as to what might be causing the loss in gas mileage??

Thanks!
    Welcome to the forum!

380-400 miles per tank on an 04? HOLY COW! I can get that on my 99, but even the wife with her easy driving on mostly rural roads never gets that.

Have you changed the air filter? Are you now using gas with "up to 10% ethanol" in it? That will reduce mileage by nearly 10% (about 1.5 to 3 mpg on a CR-V).
    99 V 151k miles, 04 V 62k miles - Both red, of course.

Question

Yes, I changed the air filter at my last oil change thinking that may do the trick. As a sidenote, the old air filter didn't look that dirty.

And I don't pay attention to ethanol levels, i just fill up with regular gas at a consistent 2 or 3 gas stations.

most gas stations are now carrying gas with 10-15% ethanol in a hope to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

this could have some effect. also check the following if equipped:

o2 sensors
    MAF/MAP sensors
    IAT sensors
    Air filter
    Catalytic Converter
    Tire pressures
    Fuel filter

If any of the above are bad, or failing, it could significantly effect your gas mileage. depending on your mileage, any of the above can be in their dieing stages.
    2008 Honda Civic Si Sedan 6MT - Fiji Blue Pearl
    -Honda MusicLink
    -Honda All-Season Floor Mats
    -Honda Trunk Tray
    -StrutKing Dead Pedal

2007 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L 5AT - Whistler Silver Metallic
    -Honda MusicLink
    -Honda Trunk Tray

crv|oc Rank: Freshman

Mpg

Did you put 5W20 oil in when you changed it? A heavier oil will make it run colder,burning more fuel. How about tire pressure are you checking it,you can loose 2LBS per month,low pressure gives you bad mileage. Do you park it outside? If so did a cridder make a nest in your intake? Did you bend the exhaust? Have you been using additives that can foul the oxygen sensor?Can you take it to an emissions station and have it checked? Do you have a roof rack you added, if so it may be causing drag on air flow. Move up to a brand name fuel and try to buy it exclusively.
    Sandpebble 2006 EX Sahara Sand Metalic

Quote Originally Posted by cderalow View Post
    most gas stations are now carrying gas with 10-15% ethanol in a hope to reduce greenhouse gas emissions..
    Almost correct. Gasoline can only contain "up to 10% ethanol" as more than that will have adverse affects on vehicles (They won't run right). E-85 is the gasoline that is 85% ethanol. If you notice the sticker on the gas pump, it will also say "This fuel may contain up to 10% ethanol".

Quote Originally Posted by 2RedV's View Post
    Almost correct. Gasoline can only contain "up to 10% ethanol" as more than that will have adverse affects on vehicles (They won't run right). E-85 is the gasoline that is 85% ethanol. If you notice the sticker on the gas pump, it will also say "This fuel may contain up to 10% ethanol".

stickers on the pumps at my local station say up to 15%
    2008 Honda Civic Si Sedan 6MT - Fiji Blue Pearl
    -Honda MusicLink
    -Honda All-Season Floor Mats
    -Honda Trunk Tray
    -StrutKing Dead Pedal

2007 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L 5AT - Whistler Silver Metallic
    -Honda MusicLink
    -Honda Trunk Tray

One thing that I haven't seen in this thread is that if anything was used to remove carbon build up within the engine. This is a quick and inexpensive to purchase a can/bottle of a additive designed to remove carbon. There are several products, each good and different forum members will recommend various products depending whom chimes in. This with everything else suggested should help.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandpebble View Post
    Did you put 5W20 oil in when you changed it? A heavier oil will make it run colder,burning more fuel. How about tire pressure are you checking it,you can loose 2LBS per month,low pressure gives you bad mileage. Do you park it outside? If so did a cridder make a nest in your intake? Did you bend the exhaust? Have you been using additives that can foul the oxygen sensor?Can you take it to an emissions station and have it checked? Do you have a roof rack you added, if so it may be causing drag on air flow. Move up to a brand name fuel and try to buy it exclusively.
    A heavier oil will not make the engine run colder. A heavier oil MAY not flow as well, making a slight (unnoticeable to almost anyone) mpg hit.

i believe it is all to do with the ethanol they added, also try cleaning out your throttle body that helped me

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements