Third Battery in a month (2009 CRV)
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Third Battery in a month (2009 CRV)

crv|oc Rank: Member

Third Battery in a month (2009 CRV)

My 2009 CRV has had a touchy electrical system from the beginning. I love this car (truck?) and rely on it to make a living. CRV is 2.75 years old and has 60,000 miles

I needed a jump when the car was a month old. No problems for year and a half.

Six months ago I had to jump the car every week or so. The slightest drain (radio on for half hour w/o engine running) would necessitate a jump. The dealer looked at it and said the alternator and battery were fine and the draw test indicated nothing irregular.

I continued jumping the car every few days and finally (last month) had a non-dealer tell me I needed a new battery. Installed his best battery and all was well up until last week.

Went to start car and battery was totally dead. Would not even unlock, I needed to use key. Took car to different dealer who performed draw, alternator and battery test and told me the month old battery was a dud. Bought another battery from dealer. Three days later battery was totally dead after car sat overnight.

Car is now in the dealer. I'm tired of buying batteries.

Any insight as to what the problem could be would be very much appreciated.

Best,
    Cliff

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Cliff;
    Have you, yourself pulled the + battery cable off while the key is off and doors closed to see if there is an arc. There should be a small spark from clock and computer. The biggest problem I found with Honda cars was not closing the back doors properly. I can't count the number Hondas I jumped and found one of the back doors on the first latch. Looking at the doors they looked closed.
    Just trying to help;
    Harry

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Be careful doing this procedure,Battery,s generate explosive gases,and WILL blow up on you under
    certain circumstances.I have had it happen to me...it aint a pretty sight.

Thanks for your input. The dealer finally said that there was a malfunctioning relay in the A/C compressor that they replaced for a reasonable fee. Today the car started without any problem on the coldest day of the season so far.

I'll be sure to keep an eye on the hatch lock.

Thanks again

I would have disconnected the battery and measured (with an Ohm meter) the resistance to ground. You might also start with measuring the actual current draw with an Ammeter. Clearly something is causing a current drain when the car is off. I had an old Mazda years ago that did this, and traced it to a wiring harness that had its insulation worn through from rubbing against the engine.

7. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements