2001 CRV - popping \ backfire like sounds
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2001 CRV - popping \ backfire like sounds

crv|oc Rank: Member

Question 2001 CRV - popping \ backfire like sounds

Hello fellow CRV owners. I have a 2001 CR-V LX 4WD with 98645 miles on it. I just got a new radiator and had the water pump and timing belt changed in early december. It cost me $1300 to get this work done. The CR-V hasn't run better. After I received the car back from the dealer, I noticed a single pop noise every once and a while. It came from under the car and I just thought something bounce up and hit it. It has been very cold (20's) and I also thought it was just the suspension and the cold. It didn't happen every day so I didn't think much about it. The other night while driving home on the highway I heard the pop again. This time I didn't have the radio on so I heard it clearly. about 20 seconds after the first pop I got a series of pops for about 20 seconds then it went away. I was traveling about 75 on a smooth highway going straight. The engine didn't seem to strain or stutter. It happened again tonight while coming down a mountain traveling about 35 mph. It popped for about 1 to 2 minutes then went away. he performance was not effected. I don't know if this matters but I did install a new Kenwood radio\Cd player in it ater I got the work done since I would be keeping it for a few more years. I installed it using a wiring harnes from crutchfield. The radio was not on when the popping happened. It sounds like it is coming from the exhaust. I hade a new pipe and muffler installed about 2 years ago. It seems to be in very good condition. Does anyone have an idea what could be causing this? Thanks for an help you can offer.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    I am assuming you have no Check Engine Light?

The check engine light doesn't come on. Very strange.

It is possible that the converter is making the noise.While I have never heard that on my 98 CR-V,I have heard it on my 07 F-150.Since there is no CEL,and any noticeable difference in performance,I expect its just something in the exhaust stream getting hot,and expanding.Have no clue otherwise.
    Wish I could help more,but I as you am at a loss...

Thanks n5926g! I was wondering it the CAT had anything to do with it. I reseated the spark plug wires and checked the air filter then filled up the tank and took it for a 22 mile (65 - 75 MPH) all highway road test. It didn't pop at all. I guess I will just have to keep an eye on it. I was just worried that something was meesed up during the timing belt, waterpump, s belt service job.

I would think that if it were timing belt related,you would indeed be getting a CEL.My suggestion is to keep an ear out,and see if the noise ever results in a performance issue.If not,I personally wouldnt sweat it.I used to hear "strange" noises when flying our Cessna 150K,thankfully,it never became more than that...Its kinda hard to pull over at 5000 feet...:-)

The problem is back. I didn't drive it yesterday. It happened on my way to work and on the way home. My commute is 18 miles one way. I was coasting down a hill and on the breaks when it popped 3 or 4 times and the break pedal lost pressure for a second, then it came right back. I was not on the breaks when it happened eariler. At no time did the engine studder. I will try and find someone to look at it. I worry the dealer will just tell me I have to replace this or that for big bucks or charge me big bucks for time on the diag equipment.

But still no CEL? are you sure the lamp is working?Self Diagnosis on initial key activation should light up the CEL for a couple of seconds...............

Back fires are normally caused by either incorrect ignition or valve timing, allowing unburnt fuel to ignite in the exhaust system, or a leak in the exhaust. Is the exhaust note louder than before? The power brake system is actuated by vacuum from the inlet manifold and I suspect your brake issue is related to momentary loss of vacuum. Together with the knowledge that the timing belt has just been changed these symptons would lead me to suspect incorrect valve timing. Suggest you ask whoever changed the belt to check that the valve timing is correct.

After the timing belt, waterpump and s belt work, the car did seem like it was running better and it still does. I would say smoother is a better word. If it weren't for the backfire, I would be very pleased. I took it to the dealer on Wednesday. They road tested and checked ignition system. They said the aftermarket plugs that I had in it for a year and a half were "loose and not application specific to the vehicle". So they replaced the plugs with honda plugs, checked wires and base idle and re-road tested. They also said that they hooked it to the computer and checked for error codes but did not find any. There is no mention of the computer dign on the bill. The cost of the work was $65.00. Driving to work the car backfires off and on for about 2 minutes while I am on the highway at crusing speed of 65 - 70 with about 2800 RPM on the tac. I checked and the CEL does light up on the initial key activation. There is no meniton of adjusting the timing on the bill. I have a call in to the service manager. I haven't heard back.

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements