Check Fuel Cap Warning
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Check Fuel Cap Warning

crv|oc Rank: Member

Check Fuel Cap Warning

I just got a warning message "Check Fuel Cap" in my dash. I took a look and everything was fine. I filled up two days ago but the message just popped up. The manual said to re-tighten and the warning should go away in a couple of DAYS. Has anyone else seen this? Is this going to be a long term issue?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    There is likely a large "O" ring on the cap.Pull it off,and clean it...lube it with some vaseline or something to that extent,and re-install it.This should do the trick,and NO...this shouldnt be an "on-going" issue.Light should go out after a few hours of driving.

Thanks. I'll give that a try. And yes, it went away a couple hours later.

If it comes back,just get a new Fuel cap.....Cheers!

Everything in Moderation Carbuff2's Avatar
    If you get a new fuel cap, you may want to pay the extra bux for a Honda part. Just letting you know.

Emissions codes like a loose cap/evaporative leak take a few days to display...and a few days to cancel once the cause is resolved.
    Atwell "Buff" Haines
    '06 AWD CR-V, 5 speed MT!
    '07 Fit Sport, 5 speed MT!
    NJ

In theory, there is no difference between Theory and Practice. In practice, there is. - Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by Carbuff2 View Post
    If you get a new fuel cap, you may want to pay the extra bux for a Honda part. Just letting you know.

Emissions codes like a loose cap/evaporative leak take a few days to display...and a few days to cancel once the cause is resolved.
    I have learned from personal experience that, yes, you should get a Honda gas cap if you ever need to replace one. I bought one from Auto Zone and it lasted 2 or 3 weeks before the check engine light came on again. Then I bought a Honda cap from the dealer for I guess about 3x the price (roughly $25). It was well worth it, as that was over a year ago and there have been no issues with it and no check engine light coming on.

Anne

This started happening on my 06, I would erase the code and it would come back on a few weeks later. I removed the cap and soaked it in a water based carburetor cleaner and it hasn't done it since ( over eight months ) I figure it must be all the dirt/gravel roads I travel was not letting it seal properly and therefore the message would come on.

Quote Originally Posted by Carbuff2 View Post
    So does that mean there's a bigger issue if it comes on and goes off in the same day? 2012 CRV, been in my posession for just over 2 mos., check fuel cap came on around 11 am on Sat, off when I started her up at 4. (I was at work on my lunch when it started, when I went to leave, it was gone.)

Had one today leaving work, filled a few days ago but I am fastidious about tightening the cap. After a restart, the message was gone. Just wondering about it, since our Toyota's never did this.

I've had the same error on my 12 and; it did indeed go away on it's own. The trick is NOT to squeeze more gas into the tank here. Fill until the pump shuts off and stop..... resist the urge to try and get more fuel in. Topping off in my case anyway; was the culprit.

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements