Heating the right half of the car
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Heating the right half of the car

crv|oc Rank: Member

Heating the right half of the car

This seems kind of weird to me so I wanted to see if it was normal.

The car, from the vents only expels heated air on the right side of the vehicle. It is quite hot on the passneger side (that is to say most people would not want it to be blowing directly on them for too long) in the middle console the passenger vent is noticably warmer than the drivers center vent. The drivers side door vent is cool or slightly warmed over at 18* outside temp with the engine @ operating temp.
    I replaced the cabin air filter
    I checked the valve coming into the firewall, it appears to be operational
    I topped off the coolant, it was slightly low at the reservoir and full at the radiator
    Both lines into the firewall get warm, the upper is warmer than the lower return line
    If I close the warmest vent, the others do not get noticably warmer, If I close the coolest vent, the others don't get noticably cooler
    The vehicle temp gauge appearls to be operating normally, which leads me to assume the cooling system is working as it should (thermostat, etc.)
    If i turn on recirc, there is a noticable improvement in the amount of heat output
    My ask is this - could there be a vent or something that is opened, stuck, clogged etc. that shouldn't be? I know it's cold out - however it is quite surprising just how much the heated air is able to cool down from the right side of the vehicle to the left. Is there something I haven't thought of?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    I am thinking a ductwork issue.There could be a restriction somewhere,but more likely one of the ducts has come loose,and "dropped".Since you have good heat on some vents,this pretty much tells me that you are correct,and the engine cooling system( thermostat) and heater core are working properly.

I agree, it sounds like the fluid system is working ok but the air ducting is not. Some cars have electrically operated flaps that open and close the various parts of the ducting and occasionally one of these may fail. Not sure if the CR-V is the same but probably is. Check the fuses first.

Thank you for the comments... great ideas. I pulled the fuse panel and tested each one because I couldn't figure out for sure which one was for the air mix control motor. The all checked out OK. I didn't test any of the relays because I do not know how. They all appeared to be ok. I then pulled the glove box and filters again. I ran through all of the settings - the recirc button and max AC opens and closes the baffle on demand. Again the temp gauge operates as I expect it should. The vent selector operates the vent motor and smoothly and consistantly transitions from one point to the next. As much as I can tell, outside of feeling like it is not working right, it appears to be doing exactly what it should. Can the air cool off 'That much' from one side to another?... equally concerned about how well the AC is going to work in the summer.. or maybe i am just imagining it. .

Did you find a solution to this problem? I have a 2012 CRV with the exact problem that you described. When the heater is on, the right side air vents blow warm air, but the left side only blows cool air. My Honda dealer wants to replace the heater core, but I don't think that the heater core is the problem if one side of the car blows warm air.

I have the same problem with quite a difference in temperature from left side to right side. Right side is considerably warmer. I can select 77 degrees on the left and 72 on the right and the air feels the same. I haven't looked into it yet.

Since I posted, I took the CRV to another Honda dealer for a second opinion. This second dealer also determined that the heater core needed to be replaced so I went ahead with the repair. This is apparently a widespread problem with the 2012 CRV. The first Honda dealer I went to had 3 others with the same problem and the Honda dealer that repaired it fixed mine and another in the same week. It seems that the problem is in 2012 CRVs with around 30,000 miles on them.

9. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements