Check Engine Light on 1999 CRV
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Check Engine Light on 1999 CRV

crv|oc Rank: Member

Check Engine Light on 1999 CRV

My check engine light came on, but the it went off and came back on at a later time and idle is erratic at time.

So i went and got it scanned and the guy told me that it looks like the oxygen sensor may need changing, but he told me to switch to premium unleaded gas and run the vehicle a bit and then he will scan it again. He says the gas could be the problem and i may not need to change the sensor.

Any of you guys experience this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Sounds like a crock to me,I have serious doubts that running Premium is going to do anything but cost you around a dollar more per gallon.Have it read somewhere else,and get the exact code.
    Erratic CEL can come from any issue,including random misfire,and Emissions.It could be the gas cap seal.Fuel could be an issue,but I suspect only if you got some bad gas.

n5926g, can you elaborate a bit on the gas cap seal? should it be air tight?. when i unscrew the filler cap on mine you can hear it whoosh as the air enters.

Well..I wouldnt say airtight,but I do know that if there is an air leak on the seal,IT can cause an emissions code,and thusly a CEL.Once the seal has been cleaned,or replaced usually within a day or so of driving the light will go out.If memory serves,the CR-V has an O ring that serves as this seal.Usually removing it,cleaning,and lubricating it will do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by CaribbeanCRV View Post
    My check engine light came on, but the it went off and came back on at a later time and idle is erratic at time.

So i went and got it scanned and the guy told me that it looks like the oxygen sensor may need changing, but he told me to switch to premium unleaded gas and run the vehicle a bit and then he will scan it again. He says the gas could be the problem and i may not need to change the sensor.

Any of you guys experience this?
    although you used the word "looks like the (O2) sensor" I'm going to assume after the guy scanned it, the code that came up was a malfunctioning O2 sensor.
    problem, could be the wiring that leads up to the sensor, or even the sensor itself. Best thing to do is to check if the sensor is indeed broken, if it is broken, then buy a new one. Problem solved. I'd suggest you DIY the O2 sensor install to save yourself TONS of labour cost. it's ridiculously easy with the O2 sensor socket.

As for the guy suggesting to change to premium gas....perhaps he's hoping for a cheap fix for you. I don't know the theory behind that one though.

and for the gas cap talk. since you hear a sound when you release the gas cap, your gas cap is perfectly fine.
    Switchblade Key Crew #1

Can a loose gas cap cause bad idle at times? or make the engine to hold back or run rough?

I tightened the cap, so I will see how it runs this morning. Unfortunately i only use the vehicle on weekends, so i have to wait til Friday to make further checks on it.

Usually, a gas cap CEL will not cause any driveability issues.The "code" put out by the computer is for emissions.

Ok i tightened the gas cap but it didnt help, engine light came on. Then after driving I switched off and restarted, and the light remained of.
    After a while of driving, i stopped by and intersection and got a rough idle where the engine nearly turned off - but check light did not come on. Drove some more and the vehicle was driving ok.
    Weekend I will do some more checking.

QUestion, can a computer tell if something is wrong with the vehicle if the check light goes off?

Yes../..No....Depends on the problem. As stated earlier, go buy yourself a cheap scanner and keep an eye on it yoursself. But also, "codes" are not always a black and white failure/repair.
    More often than not the code will only alert you to a situation and direct you where to start looking/checking. That is why having the specific code is important. And yes, The computer will store most codes in history.

While I personally have never had this problem,I have heard about dirty IAC valves,and throttle body,s causing issues such as erratic idle.The Idle Air Control Valve controls how much air is introduced into the intake at Idle.IF this is dirty,it can "stick" which will cause engine mis-fires.
    Most(but not all) misfire codes will present themselves,and then go away once the "issue" has corrected itself(such as driving normal speeds).Might be something to look into.

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements