Tensioner Pulley install problem (2004 CR-V)
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tensioner Pulley install problem (2004 CR-V)

crv|oc Rank: Member

Question Tensioner Pulley install problem (2004 CR-V)

I attempted to replace my tensioner pulley today. I was able to slide the belt off and remove the old pulley successfully. My problem has been installing the new one. For some reason unknown to me I cannot get the bolt to tighten into any threads when putting the new pulley on. I've tried tightening the bolt without the pulley as well and still nothing. It's as if there are no threads to screw it into. I don't know if something has fallen loose that I'm not aware of or if I'm doing something wrong. It should be so straight forward, but the bolt refuses to catch a hold of anything and tighten down. It just spins freely. Can anyone help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    How did you remove the old one? The tensoiner has a reverse thread....... If you removed it in the counter clock as you would a regular bolt then you have striped the tensioner ande will need to replace the whole unit.

Quote Originally Posted by cbst2vq View Post
    I attempted to replace my tensioner pulley today... It should be so straight forward, but the bolt refuses to catch a hold of anything and tighten down. It just spins freely. Can anyone help.
    How frustrating that nobody replied.
    I just dropped the nut out of the back of the tensioner arm.
    The '04 is normal threaded. To loosen the belt you pull forward on the wrench which is trying to turn that bolt clockwise.
    To remove the pulley, simply loosen the belt, pull it off the power steering pulley, then turn it the other way.
    There is a nut in the back that is completely inaccessible.
    I pulled the power steering pump off (two 12mm bolts) and moved it to the side without disconnecting the hoses.
    With the proper contortionist dexterity, you can just barely get one finger behind the tensioner arm.

I assume if I had known there was a nut back there I could have done all that and held it in place while I pulled the old pulley off.
    Since I didn't, it fell out the back so the bolt just spun freely as you describe.
    Now I have fished the nut out and dropped it again and cannot find it anywhere.
    Waiting for the wife to return with the other car to go to the @X!! store to buy a @X!! nut.

Hope this helps someone.

Lol! Exactly the same happened to me today! I took my tensioner pulley off to find the type of bearing I needed (to avoid spending a lot on the whole assembly).

I couldn't figure out why I couldn't feel the threads until I saw the nut sitting down on the crank pulley! Fixed it with a few drops of super glue and popped it back in. Glue held the nut perfectly enough to get the bolt started.

Just need to source the bearing, its a NSK 6203 DUL 1 270, in case anyone else needs one. I'll post again when the job is all done. My parts diag. shows it as a 'cover bearing' number 31185-RAA.A01 which seems to be the same for a number of different hondas.

Incidentally, my bearing has some slack and makes a cyclical sound at tickover. Gets drowned out at higher rpms but is annoying at the traffic lights, oh and I assume that it will implode at some point!
    Last edited by handycrowd; 09-04-2013 at 09:40 AM. Reason: extra info

Found the bearing for the pulley at simply bearings....... http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p62...duct_info.html
    And only 3.80 +vat compared to around 130 for the whole unit, result!

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Yep everything Honda is expensive. They wanted 160 dollars for the crank pulley removing tool. I ended up making my own tool for 3 dollars.

8. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements