2010 CRV EXL 4WD starter issue etc
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2010 CRV EXL 4WD starter issue etc

crv|oc Rank: Member

2010 CRV EXL 4WD starter issue etc

Hello everyone,

I'm a new member. I have a 2010 CRV with 16,500 miles on it. I think I may have seen a post in this board about a starter issue on the CRV, where someone was getting a metal to metal sound when starting the CRV in cold weather. I had the same thing happen on mine with only 13,000 miles on it when it started. At 16,500 the starter was just about ready to die. I brought it in for service and it DID need to be replaced. I was kind of hoping it would go away, but it did not. Honda told me this was a known issue with CRV, Accord and Civic on 2009-2011. Most of the time starters go at 50-100k miles, but this was a fluke I guess.

Other issues that happened in my 18 months of ownership included a minor recall due to a software update, which was corrected in 30 min at the dealer with a simple update, and a situation with the power locks getting stuck and either not locking or not unlocking intermittently. The lock issue was corrected by having the power locks set to open ALL doors at park instead of just the drivers door. For some reason this seems to keep everything operating smoothly.

Hope this helps,
    Anthony

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Good to know...as I have posted before, my wife has had episodes on her 2010 where the CRV would not start the first try (odd noise) and then start immediately on the second try (normal starting noise). This has been going on for over 6 months and can happen 2-3 times one day, and then never happen for another month. Dealer unable to find cause since started fine during service appt.

Did yours do that before the starter completly died???

Yes I was getting the same thing you described. The issue went on about 6 months of getting worse and worse until it went. It would make a noise as if metal was crashing against metal and then after turning the key off and then back on it started normally without a noise like that. It usually got better after the car was driven and it warmed up but a couple of weeks ago it didnt. The next day I brought it to the dealer and left it there and they said it failed altogether and needed to be replaced. They had to order the part and then I guess it was a 5 hour job so good thing it was under warranty. It probably would have cost 800.00 with the labor!

So I guess that is what we are looking at too. Problem is, we use the CRV for all of our road trips to and from Myrtle Beach and would hate to get stuck on the road. Sorry state of affairs when you have to be concerned about taking a new car out on the road!

Anyone know if early starter failure on 2009-20011 CRV's is a common event???

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by sascuderi View Post
    So I guess that is what we are looking at too. Problem is, we use the CRV for all of our road trips to and from Myrtle Beach and would hate to get stuck on the road. Sorry state of affairs when you have to be concerned about taking a new car out on the road!

Anyone know if early starter failure on 2009-20011 CRV's is a common event???
    Lets just say that i keep a starter on the shelf for the 2007-2009 and 2010-2011 CRV's.

I sell one or two of of the 2007-2009 starter every month.

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Mine too, about 5 or 6 times. Will Honda fix is the ?

mbm
    Just quote $1000 installed, and NOT covered under powertrain (I have 56k). Ridiculous.

9. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements