Power steering problems?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power steering problems?

crv|oc Rank: Member

Power steering problems?

Recently I have noticed when I turn either way and return the steering wheel to neutral/straight you can feel the wheel pulse. I flushed out the power steering fluid and its slightly better but still there. Has my power steering pump begun to fail? Hard to really tell if its worse under braking as sometimes that can amplify PS problems.

2002 CRV EXL 140,000 miles.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Fairly confident it is not my tires or worn rotors. Tires are in good shape and it is most noticeable when driving low speeds and making small turns without brakes.

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Wheel Bearings!? I'd have them checked out.... it could be the issue.

Only when the steering wheel comes back to neutral?

Thoughts? suggestions?

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    When front axle U-Joints bite the dust, they have the wobbling steering wheel symptom at low speeds, starts as a light wobble and gets worse. They do not squeak like drive shaft u-joints, so you dont hear the "angry sparrow" sound... in fact, they don't make any noise at all.

Here is your check list...
    1. does the steering wheel only pulsate at low speeds
    2. does it only happen during turning (when your turned straight, they are not spinning the bearings in the u-joint, thus no symptom)
    3. is the pulsating dependent on the speed of the wheels as they turn (faster pulsing at slightly faster speeds, meaning its not your steering components but a spinning part)
    4. does the effect kind of fade off around 20mph or higher (when they spin real fast, the effect diminishes)
    5. are your u-joints in your axle rusted and ugly

Beyond this..... go Fish. I still say it's something to do with the mechanism. Check the Wheel bearings since you are over the 100K marker and also the U-joints. Something is amiss in the steering system.

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    If you suspect the power steering pump, with the engine stopped, open the power steering reservoir and stick a magnet into the center to see if there are any metal particles. If you do, then the vanes of the pump is being shaved off and you will need a new pump.

Thank for the tips I will do some R and D.

What about the rack and pinion system failing? Maybe a stuck valve? Anything out there to flush the system or free the valve or would a person be stuck with putting in a new RP system?

Tuesday, Did you ever find out what it was? I have a 2007 2WD EX-L with the same pulsing problem back through the steering wheel. the kind that feels like it is being tugged one way and then the other, not a gentle vibration/wobble. It is uneven, too. My tires, wheel bearings, brakes and u-joints are all in good order. 72K highway miles.

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements