1999 CR-V will not start when hot
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1999 CR-V will not start when hot

crv|oc Rank: Member

1999 CR-V will not start when hot

My '99 CRV will not start after it has been running on the highway. If you stop for fuel or rest break, it will not start. It turns the engine over, but will not start unless you let it set 20 or 30 minutes. Check Engine light is on also.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

For your starting problem it Sounds like the main relay. About $55 from honda. It's located near the fuse box in under the driver side compartment. It's a common issue on hondas. I had the same issues on 4 of my hondas. It will run fine but when I stopped for gas or at a store It wouldn't start up again. Always happened when the car was warmed up.

As for the check engine light. Get it scanned for the code. That will let you know where to start.

Will the starter turn the engine, if it's the the main relay?

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    We used to have an Accord in the family that was like that. Started fine in the morning, but sometimes it would just crank when it was shut off briefly. Grandfather always assumed it was a leaking injector flooding it a bit. Just give it some gas when it won't start and it should be fine. Ours didn't have the check engine light though.

I had this same problem with my 1998 CRV. I fixed it by replacing the coolant temperature sensor, located on the engine underneath the distributor cap. Took about 10 minutes and the part was about $15 from Amazon.

Also, I think all CRV owners of this vintage should know how to clean the Intake Air Control Valve, about every 30,000 miles. I have done this twice and it has helped enormously both times, it clears the Check Engine light after about 500 miles. This is very easy and takes about 10 minutes and a $3 can of carb cleaner.

Replaced the module, replaced the coolant sensor, strong fuel smell, not even a hint of trying to start when hot. 30 minutes later starts blows black smoke and runs fine.

crv|oc Rank: Senior
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Brouse View Post
    Replaced the module, replaced the coolant sensor, strong fuel smell, not even a hint of trying to start when hot. 30 minutes later starts blows black smoke and runs fine.
    Check the spark when it will not start.
    If yellow or very weak, suspect ignition coil and/or ignitor.
    Buffalo4

"G"
    crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    I'm having the same problem with my 1g crv. After it's hot it won't start. Not sure to start with the relay or the coolant sensor. It started shortly after I installed my header. Which generates higher under hood temps. Do you have a photo of the relay? I highly doubt that's the problem. Relays rarely go bad.

10. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements