thunk or clunking noise
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: thunk or clunking noise

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore

thunk or clunking noise

Hey everyone,

I didn't search the forums too thoroughly if anyone has come across this issue but today when I was pulling into a shopping center the entrance had a little dip and I was going around 5mph and heard this clunk/thunk noise from the front end- front axle? not sure i'm not a mechanic nor know whats really under there- i know it didn't come from the strut or springs though.
    then a few feet later there was a speed bump and when i went over that at around 5mph it made the same noise again.
    it doesn't make this sound all the time just whenever i go into a small dip in the road or something... this wasn't the first time i heard this either- but today i made an appt to bring her in...
    the other time i heard it was when there was this pothole/dip in the road and it made the same noise....
    anyone experience this? or might know what it could be so i could explain it better to the dealership?
    Thanks in advance
    a friend will come bail you outta jail
    a true friend would be sitting next to you in the cell saying "Damn we messed up!" lol

-Be the change you wish to see in the world- Ghandi

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

anyone?!?!
    a true friend would be sitting next to you in the cell saying "Damn we messed up!" lol

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Sounds like a suspension issue...or you could also try the wheels and check if there's any loose lug/bolt. I don't think it's the axle though. Good luck, let us know what the problem was after you take it to the dealer.

thanks will keep ya posted once i take it in on tuesday

If you search this forum for "clunking and thunking" you'll probably find my post. I have yet to figure it out...four mechanics later. The dealer said it was the sway bar end links, but it wasn't. It wasn't the ball joint at the top of the strut, or the strut or anything else that we can find. We're thinking it's a bushing somewhere that can't be seen that is causing it. Yours is a 2008? That's odd.

i've had issues on my old cars with the struts, and it didn't sound anything like that. but who knows the V may be different. What stinks is i've tried to recreate the sound over the past few days since i heard it and nothing, it's a little frustrating because it wasn't like a small clunk it was a loud one you know? what year is your v? and was your thunk/clunk loud? where did the sound seem like it was coming from? from a particular side or the middle?
    thanks for all the input tho!

My CR-V is a '99 with 129,000 miles on it. It started the clunking and thunking about a year ago, and yes, it's pretty loud. It sound like it's coming from the front, towards the one tire, but sometimes more towards the middle of the front.

My local mechanic had the car in his shop all day bouncing it around and driving it on bumpy roads, trying to locate a bushing or something that was hidden, but had no luck. He tried tightening a bunch of things, but nothing worked. Three other mechanics have not been able to find the issue, as well as my boyfriend who is good with vehicles.

I've just learned to live with it. If if was a newer car, I'd be more upset about it.
    Last edited by Dustygirl01; 11-19-2007 at 04:16 PM.

well that's what mine sounds like, from the front of the car not really towards any particular wheel, we'll see what the dealership can do tomorrow about it, I don't know how well they'll be able to diagnose the problem or even recreate that sound because the past few days like i said i've been trying with no luck, oh well but will keep ya posted... i mean it's not often just maybe once every few weeks i'll hear it... do you hear yours often?

crv|oc Rank: Silver
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustygirl01 View Post
    My CR-V is a '99 with 129,000 miles on it. It started the clunking and thunking about a year ago, and yes, it's pretty loud. It sound like it's coming from the front, towards the one tire, but sometimes more towards the middle of the front.

My local mechanic had the car in his shop all day bouncing it around and driving it on bumpy roads, trying to locate a bushing or something that was hidden, but had no luck. He tried tightening a bunch of things, but nothing worked. Three other mechanics have not been able to find the issue, as well as my boyfriend who is good with vehicles.

I've just learned to live with it. If if was a newer car, I'd be more upset about it.
    Have you checked the upper radiator support bushings? With the engine cold, grab the radiator and shake it. Does it clunk? If so, those bushings may be worn. They are about $3 each at the dealer and take less than 5 minutes to replace.
    99 V 151k miles, 04 V 62k miles - Both red, of course.

Thanks, I will definitely try shaking the radiator...I remember reading about that on here, but never got around to checking it.

My car does make the clunking/thunking noise whenever I'm on uneven roads (which is most of the time...the poor car has taken a beating). Hope they find what the problem is with yours.

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements