1999 CRV with wobbling crankshaft pulley.
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1999 CRV with wobbling crankshaft pulley.

crv|oc Rank: Member

1999 CRV with wobbling crankshaft pulley.

Hi I'm a new member but have lurked on and off over the years and have found many helpful and insightful comments and discussion threads here. Thank you.

I have a 1999 CR-V automatic FWD with 188,000mi.
    I recently noticed my crankshaft pulley is wobbling pretty bad. It looks like it's spinning close to an 1/8 of an inch out of round on the outside. There is a faint smell of cooking rubber coming from that side of the engine compartment. I took it in to a shop to have it looked at with the idea that maybe the pulley needed to be replaced. The mechanic told me that the nut that holds the pulley on was wobbling just as bad as the pulley so he doesn't think that replacing the pulley would help. He basically told me that I could keep driving it for now, but that I should keep an eye on it and that I'm looking at having to replace the engine or whole car soon because replacing the possibly bent crankshaft could end up costing more than the car is worth. He charged me nothing and I'm grateful for his advice. One weird thing though is that the pulley does not wobble shortly after a cold start. It only only starts wobbling bad after the car has been running for a while. How could this be possible if the crankshaft was bent?

Anyone have any thoughts about what I should do? Is the vehicle safe to drive? Is there anything that could cause this besides the crankshaft or crank bearings being shot? I very much appreciate and thoughts comments or suggestions in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    The rubber smell is coming from your serpentine belt. With the engine off, rub your fingers along the outside edge of your belt. Any rough spots are an indication that the wobbly pulley is tearing your belt to pieces.

Cold start means that the cold bearing metal has shrunk enough to keep "a grip" on the crankshaft. As the engine heats up, the bearings expand & loosen their "grip" on the crankshaft.

When your mechanic inspected the pulley, did he take the belt off? With the belt off, you could examine the pulley more carefully than by watching it turn while the engine is running.

My understanding is that the pulley is held on by a bolt that goes through the pulley into the crankshaft. It could possibly be that the pulley bolt is loose.

You can check yourself. Take off your serpentine belt, then jack up your front end & support it on jack stands. Take the tire on the pulley side off. You should be able to see an access port through the inner liner that goes to the pulley bolt. Using a ratchet and an extension, fit a socket onto the bolt head & see if you can twist the bolt in either direction.

Will have 2 possible outcomes: 1.] best case - loose bolt can turn; you might be able to get away with installing a new pulley & bolt [hoping that nothing else has gone wrong because of the loose pulley]. 2.] worst case - bolt doesn't turn; crankshaft itself is bent & your choices are to a.] let it go because you want to get a newer vehicle anyway; b.] replace the crankshaft [& while you're at it, take care of the valves & rings, too]; or c.] get a replacement motor.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Kazoo2U; 03-23-2012 at 06:41 PM.

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Gotta be a the loose bolt. Probably happened when the timing belt was changed last. Seems like the mechanic would have thought of this and checked the bolt. I can't see the vehicle running well if the crank is bent.

mhedlund, give us an update on your findings.

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Belt pulleys have a rubber ring between the main part,and the outer(belt) part.Typically this rubber ring will distort over the years,and cause this issue.Remove,and replace the pulley,and the main bolt.Torque the bolt to proper specs,and drive on.You will likely need the "special" tool to hold the pulley whilst torquing the bolt.DONT buy it from Honda. Got mine off ebay for around 35.00.Worked great!

6. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements