When to change the transmission oil?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: When to change the transmission oil?

crv|oc Rank: Member

When to change the transmission oil?

Hi, Everyone.
    My CRV is 2008 EX Auto 4WD. It's around at 38000 miles. The thing is that the subcode for the transmission oil change (which I think "3") has never came up. So, I was kind of worried about it and today I called my dealership and asked about it. They told me that the subcode 3 should have came up somewhere around 30000 miles and that they probably skipped or killed the subcode accidentally. And I was recommended that I stop by for the transmission and brake oil change.

I have two questions. First, do you think I should change the transmission oil immediately? I wonder if any of you have had a similar situation like me.
    Second, given that I change the oil right now, what if the subcode 3 comes up on the next oil change? Won't this mess up the history of MM system?

Thanks a lot.

best,

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Changing the trans fluid is the best way to protect your investment along with the brake fluid to maintain the performance of both.
    When they complete the service they will reset the code so the next code wont pop up until the recomended milage has passed from when it was reset.
    Hope this helps

Everything in Moderation Carbuff2's Avatar
    Steve, I didn't know it was possible to reset ONLY a sub-code?

If the main code (for oil life) is reset, the associated sub codes get reset along with it. The sub codes come up at a mileage only (displayed so as to come up with the oil change reminder).

Because I do my own work and don't rely on the MM except for oil changes, my sub-codes on our Fit have become useless. I'm back to writing the parts/fluids changed in a little notebook...
    Atwell "Buff" Haines
    '06 AWD CR-V, 5 speed MT!
    '07 Fit Sport, 5 speed MT!
    NJ

Never buy a car you can't push.

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    If you do your own wrench work, I suggest doing a 1x drain & fill at every other oil change. For me, that is around 15K. That way, you always introduce new fluid & new additive packages into your transmission. @ 60K, I did a filter replacement, along with a complete drain & fill, all done with Honda transmission fluid. Have heard too many horror stories about using any other brand of ATF. I know that to some this sounds like overkill. This comes from a person who previously owned several Dodge/Plymouth mini-vans, so I know that I want to avoid transmission problems at any cost.

Thanks a lot for your replies. I really appreciate it.
    I have one more quick question regarding the MM system.

As I said, the car has never showed a subcode for the transmission oil change. This made me get worried about other regular fluid changes. So, I browsed the forum and found out that most of your CRVs had been serviced for the rear differential around at 15k-20k with the subcode 6.

But, again, I don't remember that my car has ever given me the subcode 6. I am pretty sure it has never been serviced for the rear differential as I keep all the service papers. Now, I'm worried more about this MM system. It is not a reliable thing for me anymore.

So, my question is do you think I should replace the rear differential fluid immediately regardless what MM system says?

Thanks again in advance.

best,
    Last edited by Honda_San; 05-02-2012 at 11:39 AM.

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Changing both the rear diff fluid and the transmission fluid is easy to do, if you can do your own oil change, then you should be able to handle these two.

The MM is a reminder, but you should also be able to look up the recommended maintenance intervals in your owners manual. Normally I change the rear diff fluid every 30k miles along with the transmission (1x) and the cabin filter.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazoo2U View Post
    @ 60K, I did a filter replacement, along with a complete drain & fill, all done with Honda transmission fluid.
    Complete drain & fill, do you mean 1x or 3x drain & fill at 60K? Currently, I change my at every 15K, was planning to do this for the life of the car.

Replace transmission fluid
    If you tow a CR-V behind a motorhome, the
    transmission fluid must be changed every 2 years
    or 30,000 miles (48,000 km), whichever comes first.
    Other than that is says go by the MM. Didn't say anything about if the dealer says so.

crv|oc Rank: Senior
    It's cheap insurance to do a 1x change annually especially if you put 20,000+ miles on a year like we do.

07 CRV, 4WD, 51,600 miles Nothing new here. Last oil change dealer told me tranmission fluid was dark & recommended a fluid change. I said no until I checked this site. Checked site and I went to my mechanic to get his opinion & have change done with 3.5 quarts of DW-1. The fluid color was light brown. He stated that the fluid color was " not bad & all fluid gets discolored". A good preventive. He was $30 less than dealer, & about $30 more than do it myself. I will do change myself every 30,000 miles from now on

This is a great site & I thank everyone for all the information that you provide

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements