Interior light not working correctly - 1998 CR-V
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Interior light not working correctly - 1998 CR-V

crv|oc Rank: Member

Interior light not working correctly - 1998 CR-V

Hey Guys,

I have a problem with my 1998 CR-V. Well it's not a big problem and it's actually only with the interior dome light.

The interior boot light works correctly.

The light in the center of the roof has three options, 'off', 'door' and 'on'.
    - The light works correctly in the 'on' and 'off' options.
    - Now the problem comes in when the light is set to the "door" option. When I unlock the doors with the remote the interior light switches on. This is correct but as soon as I open any of the four doors the light switches off???

Please let me know if you know how I can go about troubleshooting this problem.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Check the ground on the door sensors.

Open the driver's side door and look at the sticker that says the interior color code. Directly above that is a L shaped black plastic bracket which is attached to the ground for the "door" option on the dome light.

Most of the time that thing will either get stuck or loose. Play with these sensors and see what you find. If you need to get to it there is a philips screw right at the switch.

Thanks for the reply noahrexion.

I have tested the door switches and the all seem to be working correctly. The switch is open with the door is closed.

As soon as I open the door the switch closes. (this causes the switch to go to ground(earth))

Does anybody have a wiring diagram that shows how and where the door switches connect to the dome light.

I gather that the red/green wire running to the dome light is the negative line. If that is correct the line works when I unlock the car with the remote. (dome light comes on). But again as soon as I open the door, that red/green ground disappears and the light switches off.

I suspect that this wiring harness has been worked on before and possibly not been put back together correctly.

If anybody else has any ideas , please let me know.

Do you have a voltmeter?
    Did you physically look at the switches and not just make sure they move? There is a prong (for ground as you said) on the back side of each of those. Moisture/corrosion, door closing...etc can cause them to come loose and loose contact.

Though I should have asked this before: Have you tried this with every door?

Hit unlock on the FOB and verify the light goes on. Then try one door at a time and see which ones do it. Its probably either only one door (driver side) or all of them (meaning the switches are fine). If none of them work then tap on the dome a little bit and see if it comes on. If you have a voltmeter we can figure this out real quick

Yes, I have tested every single door switch.

I did this with a volt meter to confirm that they are working. (Continuity with ground. Contact made when door is open)

I also used the voltmeter to test the dome light. The green/red wire to the dome light is "ground" when I press the remote button. (Light is on).... As soon as I open the door the green/red wire "ground" falls away. (light goes off)

Service manual page 1253/1395 (23-93) has it all.

The white/red is your 12v, coming from fuse #43 (7.5amp).

When the switch is in the middle (door) position your ground wire becomes (as you said) the GRN/RED wire. That wire is run into the "keyless power door lock control unit" which has its own ground.

Out of there the ground wire that runs to all the door becomes LT GRN/RED.

Since your light works in all positions and just stops when the FOB is used its likely an issue at the "keyless power door lock control unit". I cannot find any wiring info on the lock control unit but a way to check it out is to NOT use it. Leave all the door unlocked via the actualy switch on the door itself without using the FOB. Open a door and see if the light comes on that way. If it does than you at least know its the "... control unit" I am talking about.

8. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements