Severe vibration
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Severe vibration

crv|oc Rank: Member

Severe vibration

Have a Honda CRV 2005 diesel, with 80k it has recently developed a severe vibration through the floor pan, more noticeable when under load ie accelerating mainly in 2nd & 3rd but awful with my new acquisition of towing a caravan. Visual on prop shaft seems ok, but is my suspect along with o/s front drive shaft. 4 wheel alignment is perfect along with wheel balance, it does not transmit through steering or braking????
    Any other member experienced this? and if so, possible cause?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

I had a rubber dampener on the front CV axle cause me similar grief. The dampener had separated from the axle but remained in place. While accelerating, and at certain speeds, it must have come severally out of balance and as it was no longer attached to the axle it caused a vibration. Something to think about anyway.

Thanks for your input, already checked that out and its fine, consensus of opinion points now to CV joint and to eliminate this theory I have located a second hand prop shaft for 100 delivered tomorrow, will advise of result.

Hi

I aslo have a u.k 2006 cdti with 48k and have just devoloped the same fault if I drive the car normally no problems but soon as i put my foot down up a hill or overtaking I also have the vibration worse when fully loaded with camping gear. have looked under the car on a ramp and could not notice any issues however I felt the rear diff unit seemed loose i.e i could flex it easier than I thought I could. I know it has the rubber mounting and has a degree of movement but I thought this seemed excessive, all bolts were tight and have had a rear diff fluid change about a year ago so I think it could be prop related or bushes. however after reading a lot of reports it does seem to be driveshaft related according to other peoples issues, but cant see it myself I am sure it is coming from underneath the car . I contacted the honda dealer and asked about the rear bushes but he said they never sell them so now unsure. Do you know if you can disconnect the propshaft on our cars in order to find out if it is prop related without causing any damage, just drive up the road to see if it is still there or has gone so driveshafts can be iliminated as this seems to be the most common cause of this issue.

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Yea you can remove the driveshaft, no problem. To repair the driveshaft you need to replace the u joints both front and back. Wrenchmonkey online store has them 40 dollar a piece with free shipping worldwide. It will cost 80 dollars for both ujoints. Replacing them is easy. Heres the site:

https://www.thewrenchmonkey.ca/autop...6/Drive+Shaft/

Hi
    Thanks for the reply I will try the removal of the propshaft and see if it makes any difference i.e vibration is still there or goes. Not meaning to hijack the original thread from the poster but we seem to have the same problem, I will also report back with my results.

OK purchased a second hand prop shaft and had it fitted today, seemed OK for a while accelerating hard through the gears, so after about 10 miles I hooked my caravan up and went for a test drive, again all seemed fine, accelerated hard up to 45 mph no problem then went to join motorway, got up to 60 mph and the same problem was there again, coins & items on shelf vibrating like mad, it seems to be a side to side movement. At lower speeds it was OK, wheel balance is a consideration, but this happened before at all speeds, my first thought when it originally started was O/S/F drive shaft. I think I may now get a secondhand drive shaft and try that, you really would think that someone working with these cars would have the answer, but those I speak to all say the same that they have not heard of this before.

OK purchased a second hand prop shaft and had it fitted today, seemed OK for a while accelerating hard through the gears, so after about 10 miles I hooked my caravan up and went for a test drive, again all seemed fine, accelerated hard up to 45 mph no problem then went to join motorway, got up to 60 mph and the same problem was there again, coins & items on shelf vibrating like mad, it seems to be a side to side movement. At lower speeds it was OK, wheel balance is a consideration, but this happened before at all speeds, my first thought when it originally started was O/S/F drive shaft. I think I may now get a secondhand drive shaft and try that, you really would think that someone working with these cars would have the answer, but those I speak to all say the same that they have not heard of this before.
    As footnote, this problem to me may be heat related, eg the further the car is driven the worse the problem gets, and the only part I can think of affected by heat is the clutch, but that seems perfect!!!
    Last edited by Doormanpgd; 09-04-2012 at 06:23 PM.

I also went to the honda dealer for his view he seemed to think it was a driveshaft issue and said my rear diff was fine. i.e i thought it had excessive movement, so i am also thinking poss driveshaft as it is a side to side movement on hard accelerating mine seems worse when going round a left hand bend. will hopfully be able to remove the propshaft over the weeknd to rule out any prop related issues and then try a driveshaft. I did find a company on line that refurbs the original one for 138 plus vat including carrage both ways at driveshaft u.k. so that maybe an option. I have also read of a similar stiry on hear where both front driveshafts were removed and cv joint felt okay i.e not notchy but were sent for repair and the n/side one was heavily pitted. had them both reconditioned and the vibration was gone. I can sit on the motorway at 70mph no problems no vibration if I increase speed slowly also okay but soon as i floor it vibration starts. i to am very frustrated by this and honda only option was to send the car in and they would swap driveshafts from a similar on the lot to find the culprit, but this can and would be very expensive also bearing in mind a front driveshaft was quoted to me at 580 plus vat just for the part and the fitting could easily be into 1k. I dont know if this will get worse and will be easier to identify or if it does are all the mounting rubbers going to wear quickly gearbox suspension etc to counter act the vibration. We will keep pressing on

Well, I bit the bullet today and have sent my prop off to the following; http://www.propshaft-services.co.uk/
    it will arrive tomorrow 8.30 am and they will phone me after they have done a full check on it which is FOC, people I have spoken today prior to sending it off all say it must be prop related, a word of warning, I would NOT remove prop and drive it as I have been warned it can do severe gear box damage, and I'm not going to risk that, your call.

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements