2003 Honda CRV-Starter Replacement
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2003 Honda CRV-Starter Replacement

crv|oc Rank: Member

2003 Honda CRV-Starter Replacement

How difficult is it to install a new starter on a 2003 Honda CRV. It is a AWD model.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    I'll preface with the fact that I have not done this repair on my CRV, and difficulty is relative to experience, tools, and access to repair manuals. That said, replacing the starter should be a piece of cake, however... the thing that makes it difficult on 2nd Gen CRVs is that I'm pretty sure you have to remove the "intake manifold" to get to the starter. So, replacing the starter... easy. Removing and replacing the intake manifold... not so easy, but certainly DIYable.

Here's a link to an older discussion on the subject. How to remove 2002 starter?

crv|oc Rank: Member
    I replaced the starter on my wife's 2002 CR-V (same as the 2003) twice. First time with a recon starter from mail order. The starter cost me about $100 exchange. It lasted about ten days and then died with a loud crunching sound. Then I purchased a new starter from the nearby dealership for $800 less my discount (15%) and no tax.

It is necessary to remove the intake manifold to replace the starter. That's a very difficult job if you are not super well-equipped with common tools and willing to spend two hours or more in a stooped over position. There are lots of tiny hoses and connectors to disconnect/reconnect and keep up with. It's really not at all easy even if you do have every tool known to mankind, which I do.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements