Oil change for 2012 CRV - Page 2
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oil change for 2012 CRV

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by HDDAD View Post
    Change the oil every 5,000 miles AND rotate the tires. Its a 30,000 dollar vehicle, $34.95 for an oil change is cheap insurance, but what do I know
    Your Honda dealer wants $34.95 for an oil change? My dealer wants $55.95!
    2013 CR-V EX-L AWD Alabaster Silver with Black interior

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Senior
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post
    Wait.

#1 - The system is conservative.
    #2 - The engine needs to "break-in" and there is a special assembly lubricant used that helps with the process, therefore it should be allowed to run the course.
    #3 - The old "3,000 mile" oil change is just that ... old. Today's oils & vehicles are engineered for 7,500, 10,000, 15,000 and more.

Simply follow the maintenance minder and service it with the viscosity recommended in your service manual.
    Tampa Jim, what is that 'Special Assembly Lubricant' that you have so much faith in?
    Curious.
    Buffalo4

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Change the oil every 5,000 miles AND rotate the tires. Its a 30,000 dollar vehicle, $34.95 for an oil change is cheap insurance, but what do I know
    Aside from the $34.95 oil change price, I do 5K miles and rotation as well on my Accord and CRV. For me that is about 3 oil changes a year. Some people spend more a week on coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by chemistryg View Post
    Aside from the $34.95 oil change price, I do 5K miles and rotation as well on my Accord and CRV. For me that is about 3 oil changes a year. Some people spend more a week on coffee.
    it's funny in 27 years i have never had a customer with a major engine failure, have all his maintenance records.

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    it's funny in 27 years i have never had a customer with a major engine failure, have all his maintenance records.
    I haven't seen a major engine failure outside of failing to meet manufacturer's specifications (viscosity, interval, etc.) other than a pure manufacturing defect. Follow the specs and you will be just fine. Start deviating and you may not like the results. I am constantly amazed at the folks that would rather gather information from an internet forum, the next door neighbor, a service writer, etc. than to simply open the manual and follow VERY precise and concise instructions from the EXACT same folks that designed, engineered, manufactured and later warranty the vehicle. It is in Honda's best interest to make sure that your experience is a good one, they have a lifetime of sales (and referrals) planned around your ownership experience.
    2000 Taffeta White 2WD LX and 2012 Opal Sage Metallic 2WD EX-L Navi

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post
    I haven't seen a major engine failure outside of failing to meet manufacturer's specifications (viscosity, interval, etc.) other than a pure manufacturing defect. Follow the specs and you will be just fine. Start deviating and you may not like the results. I am constantly amazed at the folks that would rather gather information from an internet forum, the next door neighbor, a service writer, etc. than to simply open the manual and follow VERY precise and concise instructions from the EXACT same folks that designed, engineered, manufactured and later warranty the vehicle. It is in Honda's best interest to make sure that your experience is a good one, they have a lifetime of sales (and referrals) planned around your ownership experience.
    In 27 years of working in the repair business there is a reason i don't get involved in oil change discussions........

Quote Originally Posted by lizzurd View Post
    In 27 years of working in the repair business there is a reason i don't get involved in oil change discussions........
    Well Lizzurd, if it was your vehicle would you 'trust' that oil reminder that says 50% at over 5000 miles (electronics never fail ),send a sample in to get analyzed, look at the oil on the dipstick,wait another 2-3K miles and then do it regardless or ?
    To me, if the oil looked good, I would probably wait until 7500 miles or when the MM said 15%, whichever came first, unless the Honda owners manual said to change it sooner.
    Buffalo4
    PS:Oil questions get to be a lot of fun.
    Last edited by Buffalo4; 11-17-2012 at 11:58 AM.

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Oil questions are always entertaining. People complain of higher taxes, rising costs of this and that, but more than happy to throw away $35-$90 on an oil change that probably isn't required for many miles down the road. Each their own, not really my problem.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo4 View Post
    Well Lizzurd, if it was your vehicle would you 'trust' that oil reminder that says 50% at over 5000 miles (electronics never fail ),send a sample in to get analyzed, look at the oil on the dipstick,wait another 2-3K miles and then do it regardless or ?
    To me, if the oil looked good, I would probably wait until 7500 miles or when the MM said 15%, whichever came first, unless the Honda owners manual said to change it sooner.
    Buffalo4
    PS:Oil questions get to be a lot of fun.
    It has been my experience with 3 Accords and a CRV that once the oil life hits 50% it decends to 15% quite rapidly. On my last Accord if i recall correctly i was at approx 5000-5500 when it hit 50%. It hit 15% at 6600 miles.

I trust the MM system. it hasn't let me go 7000 without an oil change yet.

Quote Originally Posted by lizzurd View Post
    It has been my experience with 3 Accords and a CRV that once the oil life hits 50% it decends to 15% quite rapidly. On my last Accord if i recall correctly i was at approx 5000-5500 when it hit 50%. It hit 15% at 6600 miles.

I trust the MM system. it hasn't let me go 7000 without an oil change yet.
    That was an excellent answer!!
    I think that also answers the OP's question very well.
    Thanks,
    Buffalo4

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements