Oil change for 2012 CRV
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oil change for 2012 CRV

crv|oc Rank: Member

Oil change for 2012 CRV

I have 2012 CRV with 5500 miles, 90% on highway. Oil life says 50%, is this realistic or should I change it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Welcome to the forum......1 of the most disagreed topics on this forum revolve around oil changes,lol Your well within what is normal, and many get well above that before they reach the 15% level. As well many say one should wait till the 15% level as Honda as added extra "stuff" (can't think of the name,lol) to the initial oil, so its best to wait. But do a search here on oil changes and you will find a lot of info. Welcome and enjoy the forum

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Wait.

#1 - The system is conservative.
    #2 - The engine needs to "break-in" and there is a special assembly lubricant used that helps with the process, therefore it should be allowed to run the course.
    #3 - The old "3,000 mile" oil change is just that ... old. Today's oils & vehicles are engineered for 7,500, 10,000, 15,000 and more.

Simply follow the maintenance minder and service it with the viscosity recommended in your service manual.
    2000 Taffeta White 2WD LX and 2012 Opal Sage Metallic 2WD EX-L Navi

Sorry, I'm old school. I change mine at 5000 miles or when the maintenance minder comes on...whichever is first. As a side note my 1993 Chev Astro van had 228,000 miles on it with oil changes every 3000 miles. I sold it 5 years ago and its still on the road and runs great with no oil consumption between changes.

Just as a side note ... we didn't have internet forums in 1993, either. Comparing the lubricant/service needs of a 1993 vehicle to a 2012 isn't a good idea at all. Honda has given you a very solid system to follow, it is conservative in nature. You trusted Honda enough to buy a car from them, trust them to inform you as to the service needs as well.

Thanks TampaJim. Unfortunately I have also learned that they don't always know what they are talking about, specifically the service and parts departments. Have allready had 2 issues on my 2012 CRV where I was given incorrect information when making a purchase and in both cases it cost the dealer $ to correct the issue. I'll continue to favour my 45 years of automotive experience.

You are obviously welcome to practice whatever you please on your own vehicles, you paid for them. In addition, it is unfortunate when dealership provide bad information, service, etc. Bear in mind that the service recommendations found in the manual (and corresponding MM notifications) didn't come from a dealer, they came from a group of VERY experienced and VERY knowledgeable engineers at Honda Corporate in Japan. Oil technology and engine technology have changed DRAMATICALLY in the last 5, 10, 20 and 45 years. It is a complete waste of time, money and resources to change oil more often than the MM indicates UNLESS their is some extreme unknown that it can't compensate for.

See what I said about it being the most disagreed topic,lol

Change the oil every 5,000 miles AND rotate the tires. Its a 30,000 dollar vehicle, $34.95 for an oil change is cheap insurance, but what do I know

Its your car do as you please. If you want to talk oil...then goto an oil site such as http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...s.php?ubb=cfrm I think you will get a lot better "oil education" there, that you will on this site.

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements