no power to starter...
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: no power to starter...

crv|oc Rank: Member

no power to starter...

I'm working on my father in law's 97 CR-V, it gets no power to the starter solenoid wire when attempting to start...I've checked the ignition switch, I'm getting power out of it when the key is turned. I replaced the relay behind the glove box and still nothing...where is the neutral safety switch? Anything else i need to check? I need help guys!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    did you check the un-insulated copper wire between the solenoid on the starter and the starter motor? This was so corroded on my 97 that it finally broke and had the same symptoms that you have now. Battery good, lights work, turn the key and NOTHING.. I jumped the gap with a 12 guage wire (be careful..) and the car started right up. Drove to a parts place and got a new starter.

thanks but i have checked that...my problem is, when the key is turned to the start position, there's no power to the solenoid wire. i've replaced the starter relay, checked the ignition switch and looked for other relays, but i still get nothing. now here's the kicker...sometimes it'll work great...then, at random, it'll refuse to start because of no power to the solenoid wire. the only thing i know of that i haven't ruled out is the neutral safety switch...but i've looked everywhere and i can't seem to find it. i see 4 sensors on the transaxle, i'm sure one of them is it...but which one? i got it going yesterday, but last night it messed up again and now i have to go troubleshoot it again...so can someone PLEASE tell me where that switch is? or maybe something i'm overlooking?

PROBLEM FIXED. turns out i DID fix the problem last night...and tonight the problem was, in fact, the starter. i checked for power to the solenoid wire when the key was turned to start and i still had it, so i replaced the starter and she fired right up!

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Excellent. Thanks for the update.

No problem! I figure maybe it'll help someone else along the way...although i never did find the neutral safety switch...lol

Its great you got it sorted.

Not sure whether your model would have had one,but alarm/immobilisers can cause starting problems as well.

I'm having exact same problem 99 CRV, So was it the starter relay or the starter? Thanks..

crv|oc Rank: Senior
    The way I read this thread, it was the starter that was the cause of the original problem.
    Sounds like it had a dead spot on the commutator.
    2013 EX FWD 5AT - Mountain Air Metallic (wife considers it HER's)
    2011 Accord Coupe V-6 EX-L w/NAV 5AT full HFP treatment installed at the factory (Honda Corp was 1st owner) Taffeta White (wife won't even ride in it now that we have the CR-V)

2002 Accord V-6 EX-L 4-dr Taffeta White (sold)
    2000 Ody EX Granite Green Metallic (sold)
    1983 Accord EX 4-dr 5-spd Metallic Grey (sold)
    1980 Accord 2-dr 5-spd Sand Beige (sold)
    (and at least 3 others that the kids have owned while they were at home)

crv|oc Rank: Senior
    My 2000 CRV had the bare wire from the solenoid to the starter rot out and I had to replace the starter.

My girlfriends Cavalier had a similar problem as well. Hers ended up being a loose ground wire on the engine block. I believe it was the ground going to the under hood fuse box. Hers would start with 12v applied to the signal wire, but the key was intermittent. During troubleshooting the closing of the hood and doors or the occasional starting of the engine was wiggling the wire enough to either work or not work. Finally figured it out when I had the key on and wiggling some wires was causing the heater blower relay to click on and off.

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements