2012 - Poor headlights
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2012 - Poor headlights

crv|oc Rank: Member

2012 - Poor headlights

My 2012 CRV EX-L has the poorest headlights I have used since my dad's 1937 Ford. The CRV's low beams are average and acceptable. However, the hi-beams have you driving in your own shadow. Close in light does not exist. Distance is in the trees.
    I would say the system turns off the low beam filament when you select hi-beams. I drove my wife's 2002 Outback tonight to compare visibility. Amazing difference. The outback provides bright illumination from the front bumper out several hundred feet. The CRV provides no close in illumination.
    Does Honda have a fix? If not do any owners have a fix.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    On the EX-L, you have fog lights, did you try turning them on? fogs are for the close in distances but they are designed to go off when the high beams are turned on. There are ways to wire them to stay on, do a search.

intruder2000, I will definitely agree with you that the stock headlights in the 2012 CRV are poor. Before doing a HID retrofit on mine, I tried after market headlights and there was a significant difference. I tried the SilverStars and PIAA Night Techs. Both were a lot better than the stock bulbs. I liked the PIAA's better (http://www.amazon.com/PIAA-10704-Nig...+night+tech+H4). They seemed brighter. I ended up putting the PIAA's in my sister's 2008 Highlander since it also uses H4's. If you have ever owned a toyota their stock headlights always seem very bright. Since the headlights in my sister's highlander were 4 years old, I changed it out with the PIAA's. My sister said the PIAA's were so much brighter.

Hope that helps.

I agree! I replaced with Osram Nightbreaker +. Much better!

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Recently, Consumer Reports tested aftermarket bright headlights. Their conclusion was that all the brands tested showed better performance than stock bulbs, (but not that much) and were close enough to each other that they would not recommend any one model. I bought GE Nighthawk bulbs for the wife and she said there was an improvement. Changing light bulbs will not improve the reflector design, the real problem with the new CR-V.
    2013 CR-V EX-L AWD Alabaster Silver with Black interior

Quote Originally Posted by yashinon View Post
    I agree! I replaced with Osram Nightbreaker +. Much better!
    changing bulbs, sadly wont change the beam pattern....

we need a group buy on export oem honda lights....

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    I have a hid retrofit soon to replace the crappy headlights
    Last edited by vanz; 12-01-2012 at 12:08 AM.

while looking for info on another issue. I didnt realize so many people were having the same problem my GF was talking about. I would like more info on a HID retro Kit, Please. 2012 CR-v base model

Quote Originally Posted by vanz View Post
    I have a hid retrofit soon to replace the crappy headlights
    Will the High end Model HID headlights fit the base mod 2012?

11. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements