2001 CR-V P0301 Code - Page 2
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2001 CR-V P0301 Code

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    If you can change your own oil it should be no problem for you to change the transmission fluid. Just buy 4 quarts of genuine Honda transmission fluid, that is all you need (there is a crush washer under the drain bolt that should also be changed it costs about $2) . When you drain the old fluid you will get between 3 and 4 quarts to drain out depending on how the vehicle is sitting . just measure how much came out and replace it with the same amount,and then just verify the level with the transmission dipstick. The cost of a valve adjustment should be around $100-$125 and the timing belt and water pump with parts and labor would be around $700. You might get a little break by having it all done at the same time.
    Last edited by Blue12EXL; 12-25-2012 at 07:33 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Yea definately change your tranny fluid. The drain is located in front and behind of the passenger front tire. To open it you need a 3/4 wrench and a long extension. Do not open by force or hammering because it is aluminium. Open gently. I just did mine and it takes exactly 3 bottles of honda tranny fluid. There is a wheel in the tranny called the torque converter and when you drain the fluid, there is still some left in the torque converter. So you have to drain and refill 3 times, after doing a short drive after each refill and then draining. It will make a huge difference. There is a good video on youtube. You can use the old washer on the drain plug untill you drain and refill it three times, and then put the new crush washer after the third and final drain. To check the condition of the fluid, check your dipstick. The fluid should be rosy red. If its yellow and like engine oil then you need to change it.

crv|oc Rank: Senior
    That generation of CRV also has a distributor with a cap and rotor. See if your father in law checked those items as well as the spark plug wires. Those early CRVs also were known for having the ignition coil going bad.
    Adjusting the valves would be easy for your father in law. It only takes around a hour or less. There is a good write-up in this forum on how to do it.
    When you disconnect the battery long enough to reset that code, you should also use the Idle Learn Procedure (look it up) to help the computer re-learn the proper settings.
    If your timing belt is due for a change (mileage or time), have it done. Your father in law may be able to do it, but it is pretty involved (how-to write-ups are also in this forum).
    The tranny fluid sure sounds like it needs to be changed also. Write-ups for that are also available.
    Buffalo4
    PS: Make sure your father in law used the recommended spark plugs,
    Last edited by Buffalo4; 12-26-2012 at 10:47 AM.

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Got new codes out of the second MIL after it had sat a few days. They were P030x (0, 1, 2, 3 and 4) and P1399. All basically cylinder misfires. Father-in-law is thinking throttle position sensor... can't seem to convince any family that there is a whole forum of people saying this engine needs periodic valve adjustments. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by cassius987 View Post
    Got new codes out of the second MIL after it had sat a few days. They were P030x (0, 1, 2, 3 and 4) and P1399. All basically cylinder misfires. Father-in-law is thinking throttle position sensor... can't seem to convince any family that there is a whole forum of people saying this engine needs periodic valve adjustments. Thoughts?
    I agree with the responses, you need to check the valves, I own an 01 as well, I have personally seen the tight exhaust valves at an early mileage; 35,000. Im not sure why you are going through your family to repair your vehicle, Is your name on the title ? Is a family member paying the bill ? At any rate, you are doing more damage by not taking action. What will happen is the exhaust valves will burn out eventually, in the process you will burn out catalysts, which will give you another code, another expensive repair. I think the best route to take at this point as someone mentioned do a timing belt, water pump, valve adjustment and alt/ps/ac belts.

Quote Originally Posted by cassius987 View Post
    FYI a bad TPS will not cause misfire codes.

First I just want to say thanks for all the attention the thread has been getting. Father-in-law is coming to town tonight and is going to take a look at the car before we go to a mechanic with it.

I guess I can refer him to this thread later, but is there any crude way he can check the valve clearances for himself without getting into the actual procedure of adjusting them?

The reason for family involvement is a general culture of intense skepticism of most mechanics that is fairly well-earned (say what you will, they are not all honest people). We tend to turn to my father-in-law for initial work and he has a very high success rate keeping us out of the shop, though not necessarily with Honda vehicles. Since the vehicle isn't being driven at this time (switched to my wife's vehicle for cold days, bike the rest) I don't think any damage is being incurred. If he can't figure it out, then I can finally take it to a someone here willing to work on the valves... but this is the process I must go through or else I will be in hot water for going behind their backs to do something with the car. That's just how my family works and that bit's not really up for discussion (lol)!
    Last edited by cassius987; 01-02-2013 at 06:38 PM.

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    There is no way of checking the valve clearances with out taking the valve cover off and actually going through the procedure. There should be a sticker under the hood that shows the clearances for the valves. Pull out the spark plugs so the engine is easy to turn over. With a 19mm wrench turn either the crank pulley nut or the power steering nut counterclockwise until the crank pointer is at TDC of the #1 cylinder. Adjust all 4 valves for cylinder 1 to spec then turn the cam 90 degrees and #3 will be at TDC adjust the valves, turn the cam 90 degrees again always counterclockwise till # 4 is at TDC adjust all four valves turn the cam again another 90 degrees and # 2 will be at TDC adjust the valves. If your engine has the roller tips on the rocker arms then the feeler guage goes between the top of the valve stem and the adjuster nut. If your engine has the non roller tips then the feeler guage goes between the cam and the rocker arm. You may or may not be able to reuse the valve cover gasket. Good luck remember the valves are adjusted in the order of cylinder 1,3,4,2 with number one being the cylinder closest to the timing belt.
    Last edited by Blue12EXL; 01-02-2013 at 07:37 PM.

crv|oc Rank: Junior

11. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements