Headlight replacement?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Headlight replacement?

crv|oc Rank: Member

Headlight replacement?

My driver side low beam is blown out, I don't think I need to replace the whole assembly and would like to save some money and just replace the bulb. Can I just replace the low beam bulb? I tore into it and it looks like I will have to take the plastic bumper off to access the assembly better? or can I just replace the bulb with the assembly in place? I have some health issues that make it hard to do some of this work like I used to do on all my cars. Any help would be appreciated. I see on Ebay they advertise just bulbs for these trucks but how do you get the bulbs in there, it looks very tight to get too. I did take the rubber protector off and took a look in there? Again it would be nice to just replace a single bulb as to save me some money. Dam these things are a compact design, headlight needs alot of things removed to access it wow.
    Last edited by Badass; 12-24-2012 at 08:15 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    The procedure is different for different model years. You don't mention what year you have.
    2013 CR-V EX-L AWD Alabaster Silver with Black interior

Everything in Moderation Carbuff2's Avatar
    According the his Profile, he has a '97 (Generation 1). (It would be helpful to all to put this info into a Signature)

Are there not instructions for headlamp bulb removal in you Owners Manual? If you don't have the manual, you can subscribe to the Honda Owners Link and get one online for free.
    Atwell "Buff" Haines
    '06 AWD CR-V, 5 speed MT!
    '07 Fit Sport, 5 speed MT!
    NJ

In theory, there is no difference between Theory and Practice. In practice, there is. - Yogi Berra

crv|oc Rank: Senior
    The headlight bulb for your vehicle contains both the high and low beam filaments, I believe. It is pretty straight forward in changing it from under the hood. Yes, the socket is under that rubber cover, I believe.
    "(1) Open the hood (2) Reach behind the headlight assembly and unlplug the electrical connector, then remove the rubber boot (3) Release the bulb holder retaining clip, then pull the lamp assembly out of the headlight housing. Installation is the reverse of removal. Use caution handling halogen bulbs - especially the new one. Grasp it by the base only - avoid touching the glass bulb with your bare fingers" taken from the link below:
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you...997_Honda_CR-V
    There is probably even a video on youtube.
    Buffalo4
    PS: I do not know the part number of that bulb (probably a 9003), but any auto parts store should have it in stock. Heck, some of them may even install it for you for free. If you go for the ultra bright bulbs, they usually only last around a yr where as the stock ones last many years. The stock replacement Sylvania one is around $11-12 US.
    It is usually recommended to replace both bulbs (rt and left) at the same time since they get dimmer with age and usually burn out about the same time.

PPS: Buy a two bulb pack for further savings.
    Last edited by Buffalo4; 12-26-2012 at 11:36 AM.

Thanks alot guys, just ran into another problem, my ac is now not working? crap it sucks having a high mileage truck. So I will attack the headlight issue and will surely see if my local parts store will install it.
    I tried to figure out how to fill in my signature but could not do it? If some one wants to explain I will gladly take care of it and will try again later today. My a/c has a new compressor and was tuned up a while back but they said that um some kind of valve needed replaced, forget what they called it. I could look it up but I am having my mechanic do it because of my health anyway. I replaced the cabin filter a while back and that was to much for me. Taking apart the most of the dash to get to the dam filter was not fun for me lol. but not as bad as putting it back together, lining it all up and all. Thanks alot guys.
    Also what is QUICK REPLY as opposed to GO ADVANCED for thread reply?

Just put your message in the box under Quick Reply and click on Post Quick Reply. Make sure you are signed in first, for the least hassle. If you choose the Go Advanced, you get many more options (try it and see). Fairly confusing.
    Buffalo4

Ok guys, I got the headlight figured out! wow very easy but tough to see that clip with my eyes. Put my cheap Wallgreens glasses on and could see the clip. Off to Auto Zone tomorrow to get the cheapest bulbs I can. I would love to hear how to use the Signature to get some of my info up and easy to reference. Thanks to Buffalo4 I think it was don't want to go back for fear of loosing what I typed here. This site is confusing but appears to have some helpful people nonetheless

Buy a two pack of those bulbs (usually saves a few dollars) and replace both right and left headlight bulbs now and you will probably never have to replace them again. When one goes, the other is not far behind.
    Buffalo4

10. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements