2003 Cooling Fan
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2003 Cooling Fan

crv|oc Rank: Member

2003 Cooling Fan

So, I had my wife and daughter drop off our 2003 CRV LX (81K) at the dealer today to address the driver's window wiring recall. Of course, they did their multi-point inspection. My wife calls to let me know the SA told her the cooling fan is inoperable - $679! This is in addition to the fuel induction service

I did a lot of research, including here, various parts outlets, You Tube, etc. and decided not to have the dealer fix it. At this point, I have no idea if they checked the fuse, relay, etc. and I have not had a chance to look at it. It looks like an aftermarket fan is about $100 and the OEM in the mid $200 range. The dealer said the book time is 2.5 hours for the repair.

This is my daughter's vehicle so I want to make sure this gets addressed before it starts getting hot down here in FL. Is there an easy way to isolate whether the fan motor is shot? If I decide to do this repair myself, how hard is it on a 2003? I don't have a manual, but I'd probably do a 3-day subscription to the online servie I found.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    I recently replaced the fan motor on my 1994 Accord with a motor from the junk yard, cost $40 . The motor just bolts to the shroud and the plastic fan has a nut on the end of the shaft.
    To check the motor unplug the connector and use jumper wires from the battery straight to the connector on the fan motor.

I checked the fuse this morning and it is fine. I also started the engine with the AC off and both fans were not running. I turned the AC on, and only the fan on the passenger side turned.

Would both fans normally run when the AC is turned on, or is it dependent on the temperature?

Also, is the Helms or online manual specific about what needs to be dismantled in order, to get to the fan motor?

Thanks! I'm trying to do more of this stuff myself when it makes sense.

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Not to get off track, but there is a recall for the driver's side window wiring on the 2nd generation CRV's??

Back to the Aux fan. Most cars have some sort of sensor on the radiator that sends a electricity to the Aux fan when a certain temp is reached. Have you taken a look at this? You can usually test if this is bad by disconnecting the plug that is attached to this, take a paper clip or wire and connect the two prongs to themselves. This should put the fan into on mode (the key will have to be in the run position with the car not running of course and keep your fingers clear of the fan).
    http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200...an_switch.html

Does the fan spin freely by hand (you might have to remove it to test this)? If it does it could just be either the sensor (that screws into the radiator) or a fuse.

When the AC compressor cycles on both fans should run. When the AC is turned off only one fan should cycle on and off by the engine temp.

It is not hard at all to remove the fan, the shroud has two bolts on top and 2 at the bottom, unplug the connector and the whole shroud and fan lift up and out. the fan has one nut holding it to the motor and the motor has three screws bolting it to the plastic shroud. Just replace the electric motor if it is bad not the whole assembly.

The fan on the driver side is the AC condenser fan. If you want to buy a new motor you can find it on line for $169 but a used part from salvage will save even more money. The part # for the fan motor is 38616-P3G-003 HondaAutomotiveParts.com
    Last edited by Blue12EXL; 01-04-2013 at 09:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by crvmpls View Post
    Not to get off track, but there is a recall for the driver's side window wiring on the 2nd generation CRV's?? I can't remember if it was a recall to be honest. It had to do with the way the wires were protected from moisture. I'll check the paperwork when I get home this evening.

Back to the Aux fan. Most cars have some sort of sensor on the radiator that sends a electricity to the Aux fan when a certain temp is reached. Have you taken a look at this? You can usually test if this is bad by disconnecting the plug that is attached to this, take a paper clip or wire and connect the two prongs to themselves. This should put the fan into on mode (the key will have to be in the run position with the car not running of course and keep your fingers clear of the fan).
    http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200...an_switch.html

Does the fan spin freely by hand (you might have to remove it to test this)? If it does it could just be either the sensor (that screws into the radiator) or a fuse.

At this point I haven't taken anything apart to where I can get to the fan itself. I took a quick look this morning but the weather was nasty and I had to get to work. In testing the sensor, are you saying disconnect the plug attached to the sensor, then jump the prongs of the wire that runs from the fan motor to the sensor? I need to get a manual to get a better idea of what needs to come apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue12EXL View Post
    When the AC compressor cycles on both fans should run. When the AC is turned off only one fan should cycle on and off by the engine temp.
    Thanks - that's what I thought.

Any comments on the online manual found here - https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/logon.asp

Go online to HondaAutomotiveParts.com and under parts look up put in your year and model then look under AC condensor you will see an exploded view of the fan in question.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue12EXL View Post
    Go online to HondaAutomotiveParts.com and under parts look up put in your year and model then look under AC condensor you will see an exploded view of the fan in question.
    Thanks - is it best to attack this from above or under the vehicle?

Should be able to do it from above, on my car the bottom bolts of the shroud just had to be loosened as the bottom of the shroud was slotted and the top two bolts had to come all the way out. I am not sure where the top radiator hose is on your car if it is above the fan you may have to remove the top hose from the radiator. You can do this ! good luck.

Thanks for the confidence boost! My daughter is driving back to college Saturday so I may tackle this early tomorrow.

Assuming the fan motor is shot (I'll run jumpers to the battery), does it make sense to replace the fan motor only or the entire assembly? Also, any aftermarket brands to recommend or stay away from?

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements