2004 crv
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2004 crv

crv|oc Rank: Member

2004 crv

I have pulled the motor on my 2004 crv to replace the head gasket. Milled the head .005 and rebuilt by the book. I put it back together and I am getting a CEL for a crankshaft position sensor and intake runner control valve. I have replaced the parts with OEM parts, still the same code. I have inspected and ohmed the wires to insure no damage. I also have did a voltage test and they are putting out signal. The engine will not rev above 3,000 rpm. I have tried to clear the codes, the codes clear and as soon as I turn the engine they pop right back. When installing the gear on the crankshaft for your cps does it matter which way it goes on? (it is keyed so it can only go in one position but maybe it is flipped the wrong way) A guy I talked with that was pretty knowledgeable suggested it may be a cam position sensor, however I have invested quite a bit of money in parts already that have not fixed the issue, I would rather not unless someone else has seen this before. He also suggested the timing may be off, but I was very careful when putting the motor back together and made sure it was TDC with the cam marks mating perfectly(new timing chain too). If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

A Tech guy should reply to your post soon giving you some pointers as to what could be wrong. Good luck.

What exact codes were thrown?
    I can tell you that if the cams are not timed correctly, there is a specific code for that. Been there on my 2003.
    Joe

p0661 p0335 i believe were the codes, both were talking about a low voltage circuit on a bank. I have ordered a new vacuum solenoid in hopes that it cures the issue. However I pulled the old one and hooked it up to 12v, and it seemed to be functioning. I also took valve cover off and checked TDC with a feeler gauge and the timing marks on the cams were perfectly matched. I don't know what else to do, if nothing else I may investigate a new computer from a junk yard. I also have cleared the codes with a diagnostic tool and they keep coming back.

I think I have found the issue, I have the motor pulled and timing chain cover pulled. After thinking about it the pulsar plate on the crankshaft whenever I put it on, was on backwards. I am going to finish putting it back together tonight and hopefully this will clear my code issues, it just sucks that I had to drop the motor again. However, I hope if anyone else is having this issue it will help them out. p0661, p0335 crank position sensor, intake runner control valve, low circuit voltage A bank.

Since you put on a new timing chain, I was wondering about your experience. On my stock chain, there was one link colored blue that installs directly over the mark on the crankshaft. But on each of the camshafts, there were TWO adjacent blue links. I installed the chain on the camshafts so the mark on the camshaft is squarely between the TWO blue links on the chain.

Was your stock chain like mine? Did your NEW chain have two blue links over each camshaft mark?
    Joe

8. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements