Fuel consumption issues
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel consumption issues

crv|oc Rank: Member

Angry Fuel consumption issues

I have a 2011 CRV 2.4 automatic which my wife users during the week mainly for town driving. The issue is the fuel consumption which is extremely high(on average 14.5 L per 100km) I have owned larger cars that have done the same driving yet were more fuel efficient. On the open road if kept to the 100km/h speed it will achieve around the 10L per 100km, if you move this up to our speed limit of 120km/h this goes up to over 12L per 100km, is this normal?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

14.5L/100km in city, 12L/100km @ 120km/h is a little steep. With my 05 CRV, during the summer I get ~11L/100km in city and 9.5L/100km @ 120 km/h, winter ~12L/100km in city and 10L/100km @120km/h. It's normal for winter to be worse (colder air temp, winter gas probably contains more ethanol, more idling, more wheel spin due to snow etc...) What type of fuel you're using? I assume you're not using E85 as that would be very inefficient fuel (CRV probably wouldn't run right if you did).

What are your wife's driving habits? Does she let the car idle alot to warm it up during winter? Does she like to hit the throttle hard? (fun during the winter if you have AWD). The CRV is not the most fuel efficient as that 2.4L has to work to lug the +3500lbs weight plus the AWD if you have it. Try using 91 octane gas as that does not contain any ethanol and see if that makes a difference. Your vehicle is way too new to warrant replacing plugs and your most likely not throwing any codes (bad 02 sensor).

Thanks for the feedback staying in South Africa we have a very moderate climate so the consumption does remain consistently bad. I drove the car myself to see if there was an improvement in fuel consumption but it seemed I had a heavier foot. The fuel I use is 95 unleaded. Its a unfortunate situation as in general we are happy with the car but are looking to replace it because of the fuel consumption issue.

Check the rear diff isnt stuck on! And its running in 4wd mod permanently!

crv|oc Rank: Senior
    Quote Originally Posted by CRV - DC2R View Post
    Check the rear diff isnt stuck on! And its running in 4wd mod permanently!
    I don't think that can actually happen with the system that Honda has in the CRV.

JasonJB; I would look for something simple first. How is the air filter?

Dear all
    i have the same problem,
    I bought CRV 2008 4wd, It has 52000km on it, I changed the plugs. Air filter, engine and transmition oil, I have e light foot on the gas, my RPM hardly gets over 3000 RPM, and am getting around 400km with the full tank? That’s almost 16 mpg-city ! i used fuel injector once, but nothing, what else should I be looking at?
    i took my car to the agency the other day, and they plugged it to the computer for a check up, as expected, there is nothing wrong with it, and yet am still getting around 420 km for the full tank !! any ideas ???

Quote Originally Posted by JasonJB View Post
    I have a 2011 CRV 2.4 automatic which my wife users during the week mainly for town driving. The issue is the fuel consumption which is extremely high(on average 14.5 L per 100km) I have owned larger cars that have done the same driving yet were more fuel efficient. On the open road if kept to the 100km/h speed it will achieve around the 10L per 100km, if you move this up to our speed limit of 120km/h this goes up to over 12L per 100km, is this normal?
    Before answering, I'm assuming here that these are fuel consumption figures you manually calculated based on the amount of gas used between fill ups and kms traveled. The average consumption figure on the display is not what you want to use.

For us 'muricans reading this post, 14.5 L/100km = 16 mpg, 12 L/100km= 20 mpg, & 10 L/100km = 23.5 mpg.
    Here's a good conversion site: http://www.milesgallon.com/convert-l...mpg-to-kpl.php

In Town Driving:
    I have the same year CRV & model you do. When we first bought the car it was my wife's and she used it for around town as does your wife. She regularly got 15 to 17 mpg! I was pretty disappointed to say the least and was suspicious since the around town mpg quoted on the sticker was 21 or 22 mpg. We swapped cars for about a month and I got 20 to 22 mpg in town! The difference was in our driving styles. She's not a hot rodder by any means but she is heavier on the gas pedal on starts than I am. I discovered that if she wanted to get decent mileage, she could not drive this car like she was use to with previous cars. It has to be babied to get the advertised mileage in town. The key to the 22 mpg is managing acceleration. When taking off, use a slow, progressive increase in gas to get it up to speed. I now drive the car full time and let her drive our much more fuel friendly Civic.

Highway Driving
    100 kph = 62 mph, 120 kph = 74 mph.

The figure you quoted at 100 kph is sort of low but gas consumption on the highway can be highly variable depending on the speed limits, terrain, fighting a high wind, etc. I have on rare occasions gotten the consumption you quoted on the highway but that is on the low end. As an example, on a 4000 mile vacation trip I recently went on to the eastern part of the US, my mpg ranged from 25 to 30. On another trip to New Mexico through west Texas where interstate highway speed limits are 80 mph, my mileage ranged from 21 to 27 mpg. If I remember correctly, that 21 figure was made on an 80 mph limit road and we had a pretty good headwind.

Bottom line is that the CRV (and almost every other car in its class) doesn't get as good a mileage as I would like. For me the CRV is a compromise between fuel economy and roominess.

Dear wolfcamp,

any ideas for my problem?
    appreciate any feedback

Quote Originally Posted by rafi13 View Post
    Dear wolfcamp,

any ideas for my problem?

appreciate any feedback

Do what I did. Swap cars with your wife for a month. Be very easy on the acceleration (slow, smooth, progressive acceleration to speed). See how it goes. I'd be willing to bet the problem is one of driving style.
    Last edited by Wolfcamp; 01-14-2013 at 09:22 PM.

hi
    thanks for the quick reply
    i tried it, also my rpm hardly goes over 3000, believe it or not, at some point my driving is boring, still nothing, the little reader that tells you your expected distance vs gas tank, well no matter how i drive, its always around 14 to 15 km / to every 100 km, believe me thats a lot !
    can you think of anything i can do?

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements