steering noise when turning and popping noise under the car at slower speeds
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: steering noise when turning and popping noise under the car at slower speeds

crv|oc Rank: Member

steering noise when turning and popping noise under the car at slower speeds

1998 CR-V, about 200000 miles. I just recently got the car so I do not know the history.

Whenever I am turning at a low speed (like turning into a parking space) and I either turn the wheel left or right there is a loud sound coming from somewhere inside the steering wheel. Also when I am doing city driving at lower speeds and bumpy roads it sounds like there is some sort of popping sounds coming from under the car. When I am driving on the highway at a high rate of speed life over 50 the ride is smooth and no sounds. Any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    You should check the front CV joints, the boots are probably cracked and all the grease were leaked out and now you have metal on metal contact. This only happens on slow turns, if you have noise on both left and right, then most likely both joints needs to be replaced.

crv|oc Rank: Silver
    Listen very carefully to see if the sound that is made while doing slow tight turns is actually coming from 'inside the steering wheel'. If it is a screeching or rubbing type sound, it could well be the rear diffy fluid needs changing. Many times that sound actually seems like it is coming from the front of the vehicle.
    Buffalo4

5. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread