problems starting my car
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: problems starting my car

crv|oc Rank: Member

problems starting my car

I am having problems starting my car, a 1999 Honda CRV with about 350,000 km.

If I turn the key into the start position, it will crank and start, but after about 10 seconds it will shut off. On my second attempt, I turn the key to the start position, but this time I am forced to hold it there for about 20-30 seconds as it struggles to start. Ive been told that it is bad to press the gas pedal in order to help start your car, so I avoid doing it. When I release the key, the car starts but the sound is not normal. It sounds like its kicking, beating or thumping. This kicking sound begins to increase in speed until the car finally starts.

Then, I have to wait until the temperature gauge has reached the halfway mark or there is a chance the car will die upon shifting into drive.

This whole process from first attempt, second attempt(sometimes 3rd or 4th), waiting for the temp gauge,then shifting into drive takes about 10+ minutes. This happens every morning, and it is worse if it is really cold outside. Also, after completing this process, the car starts up fine for the next 1-2.5 hours, but if it hasn't been running for more than 4+ hours, I must go through this whole process again.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Senior
    Assuming you have no engine light, have a compression check done. It wont cost much and it should reveal the problem.

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Could also be an ignition problem, such as a weak ignition coil. From your description, it sounds like an incomplete combustion problem (flooding).
    The ignition coil can usually be checked with an ohmmeter and must be entirely withing the resistances given for the primary and secondary windings. You can search online for how to do this.
    Buffalo4

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Buffalo4 and Fixer, thanks for responding I appreciate it. I'm a complete beginner(this is an overstatement) in this field, so this should be an interesting few hours with my good friend google.

crv|oc Rank: Senior
    Yer welcome. Say I don't suppose you got some gas with high alcohol content? This can cause a similar problem.

7. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements