Oil Change Frequency
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil Change Frequency

crv|oc Rank: Member

Question Oil Change Frequency

I just purchased a new, 2006 Honda CR-V LX 4 wheel drive, automatic two days ago. The owners manual from Honda says change oil and filter every 10,000 miles. The dealer gave me a separate, generic service log that has entry boxes for every 3000 miles and the next service sticker they put on the windshield says service at 3,000. Are they just after more service $ and it is OK to go with Honda's recommendation on service?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

IRV
    This is an issue frequently debated on the Element site. The general consensus is that 3,000 miles is silly, something like 5,000 or 7,500 is prudent and if Honda says 10,000 that's how car was designed and engineered.
    "Location" gives valuable context to your posts.

Exclamation oil change 1st time

if you have a new 06 crv, hears what to do, [from honda service advise] during, the break in peiod , and up to 5,000 miles , you do not want to change the oil//// the oil that comes in a new honda car, has special additives,in it ,to help with the break in of the motor,, the break in peiod is the 1st 500 miles, but to keep the orginal oil in till 5,000 miles for that extra protection,,, after that you can canage the oil, at 3,000 or 5,000 k.a.l.

Wink I agree with IRV

Hey guys, I am new to this forum. I have an 05 CRV and love it. I think regular oil changes are necessary to prolong engine life. I change mine at about 5 K. I check the oil every 4th fill or so. If is getting dirty, I have it changed. I want my CRV to last a long time. This is my second CRV, my previous bieng an 02. Cheers from Miami, FL.

I might get flammed for this but here goes

I would change it every 7,500-10,000 Depending on your driving. Firstly they use synthetic oil which doesn't need to be changed as often since it doesn't break down as quickly. If you are doing a lot of higway driving you would be okay to change it at 10k. If you do mixed driving 7,500 or 10K are fine. If your engine hasn't broken in yet I would wait til it did.

With Synthetic oil you could pretty much just change the filter every 1000 miles or so and your oil would be clean and good for 10-15K. Of course in the realworld unless you've got nothing better to do Then you could do this. Otherwise I would just go with the regularly scheduled Maintanence.

At least now on my 2 day old 07 CR-V EX-L it has the same engine oil life meter that the Civic had so I'll just wait til that gets close to 0 before changing my oil.

If the manual says 10K, by all means, go by the manual. My 07 CR-V has the Maintenance Minder system, yet the tech who performed the pre-delivery inpsection put a sticker in the window noting an oil change is required at 3750. I don't think so!

Everything in Moderation Carbuff2's Avatar
    The '06 V does NOT have synthetic oil installed from the factory. Common consensus is to change to synthetic after the second oil change, 10K miles at least. (Factory fill has Moly additive in it, otherwise it's reported to be Superflo...)

Most drivers will qualify for the SEVERE oil change interval (5K miles with the filter every other change). Oil filter analysis indicates that yes, they will easily last 20 - 25 K miles...

I'm an "old fart" though, set in my ways, so I change my filter every time.

If this seems like to much oil mileage to you, visit the www.BOBISTHEOILGUY.com Forums Those guys are NUTS....

I can't speak to the '07s. You guys are on your own (or at least, under the watchful eye of your Service Reminder Computer).
    Atwell "Buff" Haines
    '06 AWD CR-V, 5 speed MT!
    '07 Fit Sport, 5 speed MT!
    NJ

In theory, there is no difference between Theory and Practice. In practice, there is. - Yogi Berra

Dear God, oil filters scare me... I guess it comes from me being a Rotary Addict, and Rotary engines are quite sensitive... but a friend of mine's work (Mazmart) has apparently done independent studies on Oil Filters.

From what he told me, all oil filters have a relief valve in the top of them that OPENS when the pressure of the oil coming in varies from the oil going out of the filter...if the difference becomes too excessive, the valve opens and allows UNFILTERED oil to bypass the filter and go straight back into the engine.

Rotary oil pressure varies a gigantic amount from idle throughout the revs...so I was horrified. He said it scared him too, so he's buying a Racing Beat Dual-Filter setup which not only allows him to relocate the filters to anywhere in the engine bay, but it also allows him two filters...and we use the slightly taller filters from Mazda than the regular ones Mazda tries to give us...

Back to the original subject...

My RX-7: Oil and filter changed every 2,000 miles.
    '05 CR-V: Oil and filter changed every 3,000 miles.

I recommend you change the oil on ANY car every 3k, anyways. I don't care how well-engineered you claim an engine is.

Everything in Moderation Carbuff2's Avatar
    If you are worried about Warranty issues use a Honda OEM filter until the warranty expires. But heck, they are made by FRAM so if Honda sez change them every other time, do it their way.

If you want the best filter, ask your dealer for the S2000 filter instead of the V filter. It's slightly bigger and is NOT made by FRAM.

Oil has changed a lot in composition over the last 10 - 15 years. A Used Oil Analysis is the only real way to tell if you are getting the full life out of your oil. That's what the large trucking companies do in their over-the-road rigs.

Believe me, conventional Dino oil will least 7 - 9 K miles in a K24 Honda engine, Synthetic will last 15K easy. (And that's under conditions that Honda defines as SEVERE with 5K oil change intervals.) So even 5K has no danger of the oil getting ineffective.

If you are changing your oil every 3K on your second generation CRV, at least make sure you recycle it properly. Me, I USED to do more frequent oil changes, but am enjoying the new petrochemical products!

PS: Don't forget that Honda recommends you change oil at least once a year if you don't hit the 5K - to 10K mark, even in the '07 Vs with the Maintenance Reminder Computer.
    Atwell "Buff" Haines
    '06 AWD CR-V, 5 speed MT!
    '07 Fit Sport, 5 speed MT!
    NJ

In theory, there is no difference between Theory and Practice. In practice, there is. - Yogi Berra

My 99' V's Owners manual states 7500 miles for oil changes. I have historically changed oil in all of my vehicles @ 5000 miles and have not had any oil related problems with any of my them.
    Alan
    Cottonwood, Arizona
    99' Clover Green Pearl CR-V LX 4WD
    http://tinyurl.com/2al66r

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements