Driver's Side Power Window Doesn't Work
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home – General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Driver's Side Power Window Doesn't Work

crv|oc Rank: Member

Question Driver's Side Power Window Doesn't Work

I love, love, love my 2001 CR-V. That said, I've recently been having problems, and that makes me sad.

Back in October, I started having problems with my driver's side power window working intermittently. It sounds silly, but the window seemed to not work on days when my CR-V had been sitting in the sun. I took my car into a Honda dealership for the 75000 mile service. The service team was unable to find anything wrong with the window, but I was told that the lead serviceman had a 2001 CR-V and had the same problem when his CR-V was parked in the sun.

I went away for the Christmas holiday, and when I returned two weeks later, my power window wasn't working at all. What's a girl to do? What could be wrong? I called the Honda dealership and asked them to ballpark a price to have the window fixed, but all the gentleman I spoke to would tell me is that it would cost $95 to take the door panel off and figure out what was wrong.

Has anyone else had a similar problem?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Silver
    Quote Originally Posted by bloder View Post
    I love, love, love my 2001 CR-V. That said, I've recently been having problems, and that makes me sad.

Back in October, I started having problems with my driver's side power window working intermittently. It sounds silly, but the window seemed to not work on days when my CR-V had been sitting in the sun. I took my car into a Honda dealership for the 75000 mile service. The service team was unable to find anything wrong with the window, but I was told that the lead serviceman had a 2001 CR-V and had the same problem when his CR-V was parked in the sun.

I went away for the Christmas holiday, and when I returned two weeks later, my power window wasn't working at all. What's a girl to do? What could be wrong? I called the Honda dealership and asked them to ballpark a price to have the window fixed, but all the gentleman I spoke to would tell me is that it would cost $95 to take the door panel off and figure out what was wrong.

Has anyone else had a similar problem?
    Welcome to the forum!

Where are you located? If you fill out your profile, with your location, it will help others, to help you. You could be anywhere in the world. Honda makes many variations/accessories/options dependent upon where in the world you are.

The more usual power window issue on a 1st gen (1997-2001) is that they "shudder" or go real slow going up when cold and wet out. This is usually fixed by lightly spraying a pure silicone spray into the window channel to lube it. Your issue seems to be the opposite.
    99 V 151k miles, 04 V 62k miles - Both red, of course.

Window troubles, part II

I read on another thread that someone was having temperature related window problems--or so s/he thought. Thus, when I got in my CR-V this morning in some fabulously cold 20 degree weather, I decided to give my driver's side window a go. The darn thing went down... And up... And down... And up... Does anyone know if there's a correlation between the outside temperature and window failure/success?

Quote Originally Posted by 2RedV's View Post
    The more usual power window issue on a 1st gen (1997-2001) is that they "shudder" or go real slow going up when cold and wet out. This is usually fixed by lightly spraying a pure silicone spray into the window channel to lube it. Your issue seems to be the opposite.
    Yes. My 2001 CRV driver side window did shudder when it was cold or wet. I was considering applying lube. When it would not go up recently, I simply grabbed the top of the window to give it an assist up. It appears that in doing so, I got the window off track because while I can hear the motor turning, the window no longer moves up or down whereas I can push it down and bring it up freely by hand.

With your helpful suggestions, I hope I do not need to take the door panel off to reset it in track. Any Suggestions?

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by blackCRV View Post
    Yes. My 2001 CRV driver side window did shudder when it was cold or wet. I was considering applying lube. When it would not go up recently, I simply grabbed the top of the window to give it an assist up. It appears that in doing so, I got the window off track because while I can hear the motor turning, the window no longer moves up or down whereas I can push it down and bring it up freely by hand.

With your helpful suggestions, I hope I do not need to take the door panel off to reset it in track. Any Suggestions?
    I have the EXACT same problem. All of the other windows work fine. My driver's window has always been sluggish. Recently it needed assistance to get it to go up because the motor wasnt strong enough to get it all the way up. I went out yesterday and now the motor is going strong but the window doesnt move. I can move it up and down with my hands (but have to push the window switch at the same time). It doesnt seem to be off track because it doesnt fall down and it stays up tightly and will not go back down unless I use my hands along with the switch.
    Anyone out there think my motor needs to be replaced? It works for the other windows just fine. Does the driver window run on its own motor?
    Thanks for reading.
    Kim from Maine

Power Window Slow/Stopped

In the last year, my 97 CRV driver's side power window had been getting slower when going up. A few weeks ago it would just stop halfway up. With some help pulling up on the window, the motor would run slowly and the window would get to the top.

Using the shop manual's instructions, I pulled off the mirror cover, door handle, speaker cover and speaker, several more screws, and popped off the door skin. I tried greasing the tracks and the gaskets, but it made no difference.

I ordered a new motor and regulator from Majestic Honda, along with new bolts and those plastic phillips head panel fasteners (like the one just below the mirror cover). After removing the old regulator and motor per the service manual instructions, it looked like the old regulator was very loose, possibly from metal fatigue. Anyway, I bolted the motor to the new regulator and installed it in the same position as the old regulator. Now it works perfectly. In a race with all the other windows, the driver's door window always finishes first!

When putting the door back together, the sealing material that holds the plastic liner to the metal door had lost it's stickyness. The local Fisher Auto Parts store had a 3M product called "Strip Caulk" that is a suitable replacement.

The parts were about $230. I can't imagine what the dealer would have charged for the job. It's not that difficult, requiring nothing more special than a metric socket set and a few screwdrivers - makes the service manual a worthwhile purchase.

crv|oc Rank: Silver

Welcome To The Club!

Congratulations on your sucessful window repair. Sounds like it went quite well. We could use a resident expert in window problems, so we hope to hear from you again.

Again welcome to the club!
    The Black Pearl . . . 2007 EX, 4WD, 5AT, Nighthawk Black Pearl

“Being Irish he had an abiding sense of tragedy which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.” W. B. Yeats

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

Passenger side window stuck closed

I am new to the site but enjoy our comments. How come the driver's side window is the only window with a problem? Are you all left handed?

My passenger side window is stuck closed for a month now. Someone said it could be the fuse, but also might mean the register is off-track.

Has anyone had to just replace a fuse and foudn that to work? THKS.
    J

Quote Originally Posted by JAMES HOUSTON View Post
    I am new to the site but enjoy our comments. How come the driver's side window is the only window with a problem? Are you all left handed?
    My guess would be that the drivers side is opened more frequently than the rest. After all, that is one seat that is alway occupied when the car is in motion, well, hopefully.

For me, it's my back drivers side window. That's where my 5 year old sits.

11. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements