Power steering fluid leak in my 97
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Power steering fluid leak in my 97

crv|oc Rank: Member

Power steering fluid leak in my 97

Took my beloved '97 out for a spin yesterday, parked it for a time, and when I backed out of the space I noticed the steering felt off. As I drove, it became increasingly difficult to turn. When I got home (a short distance away) I checked the power steering fluid and sure enough it practically empty. I filled the reservoir, looked for leaks, and couldn't see any....... Until I looked underneath and saw the fluid streaming out of my vehicle. My hopes are it is just a hose, but I can't see anything from underneath. If the fluid runs out quickly as I described, is it typically a hose or does that usually indicate a bad rack? Any advice is much appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Senior
    I know at one point my mother had an old accord and one of the power steering lines rotted out and it just needed to be spliced back together with a piece of hose.

I have a 2000 CRV and I believe the previous owners had the rack replaced because it rusted out. I have no idea what the means as to if it was leaking fluid or if it completely malfunctioned.

I don't think you will know for sure until you can find the leak.

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Rack failure is a common problem in these first gen cars. Mine went out too. Called many wreckers and they had everything except the rack. Had to import a new rack.

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    My 97 had a PS leak, if you follow the hose from the PS reservoir, under the strut tower, it goes from rubber to metal, the metal hose was where the leak was, replaced and no more problems. The sheet metal under the hose was all covered with PS fluid

6. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements