Leak on Passenger side floor front and back
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Leak on Passenger side floor front and back

crv|oc Rank: Member

Unhappy Leak on Passenger side floor front and back

Hi,

I have been looking online and it seems that I am not the only one who has a leak in my Honda CRV (2005). I did have my windshield replaced once. No accidents. It happens when it rains and I never noticed anything when my A/C was on.

Today it rained so I checked and the front floor seemed dry. Something made me check the backseat (I don't know why I decided to check) and THAT seemed damp...I looked at the mat itself and there were white spots underneath it...which the front mat had as well. Yet, on the driver's side, the mat is pristine. So, the water is on the passenger front AND back.

I would love to hear from anyone who actually fixed the leak or has suggestions on what it might be and how I might remedy the situation.

Thank you so much!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Silver
    Welcome to the forum!

Do you have a sunroof?

Hint.. If you fill out your profile, with your location, it will help.
    99 V 151k miles, 04 V 62k miles - Both red, of course.

Angry I found out the issue....

Hi!

I live in NY. My boyfriend is a mechanic and spent 6 hours working on my car today...we ripped almost EVERYTHING out to try to figure out where the leak was coming from. The carpet was SOPPING WET. And the smell...oh my G-d! HORRIBLE. Anyway, he consulted something and this is what he found...hopefully it might help someone else.

Honda is totally aware of this problem but doesn't have to contact any of us because they didn't recall the cars! SO UNFAIR since it is going to be a fortune for me to replace my disgusting carpet now.

Cowl Water Leak
    Reference # 06-037
    It effects 2002 to 2005 Honda CRVs

Symptom: Water leaks into vehicle from behind the dashboard.

Probably Cause: During production, part of the passenger's compartment front bulkhead may not have been properly sealed.

Corrective Action: Seal the outside bulkhead area with sealant.

Required Materials:
    3M Ultrapro Autobody Sealant
    Caulking gun cartridge - 3M P/N 08300
    Squeezable tube - 3M P/N 08301
    One container repairs one vehicle

Warranty Claim information:
    Operation Number: 8410A4
    Flat Rate Time: 1 Hour
    Failed part: 61500-S9A-A00ZZ
    Defect Code: 07408
    Symptom Code: 05904
    SKill Level: Repair Technician

Out of Warranty: ANy repair performed after warranty expiration may be eligible for goodwill consideration by the Districs Parts and Service Manager or your Zone Office. You must request consideration and get a decision before starting work.

Repair Procedure:

1-Remove Cowl Cover
    2-Seal Entire exterior horizontal Seem on the bulkhead. Make sure you apply the sealant above and below the vertical brackets. Smooth the bead of sealant with a popsickle stick or similar tool.

Hopefully this will help out anyone else having a problem.... I just hope when we do this, the problem will be solved. We had to take out the passenger seat and took apart so much of my poor car. It is really infuriating to me that Honda didn't notify me a year and a half ago...all it would have taken was a postcard.

Quote Originally Posted by ericadh View Post
    ... It is really infuriating to me that Honda didn't notify me a year and a half ago...all it would have taken was a postcard.
    Since it doesn't affect every vehicle, there is no way that Honda would have known who to send the postcard to... This is what TSB's are for. It advises the dealer techs that there could be an issue, not that there is an issue with every vehicle.

Did you contact Honda Corporate to see if they would do it for you, for free, like the TSB mentions?
    99 V 151k miles, 04 V 62k miles - Both red, of course.

Honda

I have not called Honda yet because I have been too upset (it isn't the fault of the person answering the phone so I don't want to give her/him the attitude I am feeling). I have also been gathering information as to how much this is going to cost me to have remedied...

My boyfriend being a mechanic is a help because the labor is free (I don't want to wait for approval before the work is done). The caulk was $11 and the carpet cleaning (if the smell comes out) is $50. So, what am I out if it all works? $61 It is more the inconvenience and being upset than the money. If the smell does not come out...oh boy. I can't even imagine what new carpet will cost me.

If you look on the Internet, people have been having problems with the leaks since as far back as 1997. This "alert" only covers 2002-2006.

Whatever...I will stop complaining. I hope others see my post and get their problem fixed.

Thanks for your concern! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by ericadh View Post
    I have not called Honda yet because I have been too upset (it isn't the fault of the person answering the phone so I don't want to give her/him the attitude I am feeling). I have also been gathering information as to how much this is going to cost me to have remedied...

My boyfriend being a mechanic is a help because the labor is free (I don't want to wait for approval before the work is done). The caulk was $11 and the carpet cleaning (if the smell comes out) is $50. So, what am I out if it all works? $61 It is more the inconvenience and being upset than the money. If the smell does not come out...oh boy. I can't even imagine what new carpet will cost me.

If you look on the Internet, people have been having problems with the leaks since as far back as 1997. This "alert" only covers 2002-2006.

Whatever...I will stop complaining. I hope others see my post and get their problem fixed.

Thanks for your concern! :-)
    yes, this is true, i have a 2000 and i have a similar problem, and the 1999 i have, oh man, if only you could smell.....if only you could smell.....
    [FONT=Arial Narrow]
    [/FONTI drive a 1997 JEEP CHEROKEE
    lifted 8 inches on super swampers
    locked and geared

Update

Just wanted to give a quick update for those out there who still have the problem.

My boyfriend did fix the problem by doing what I suggested above. I have not had any water in the Honda since. We took up the carpet and left it up for a few months so that we could see if any water was coming into the truck and also to let the soaked carpet dry.

The smell also went away for the most part so I haven't run to get the truck cleaned but I will when the spring comes because the truck doesn't smell CLEAN...it has a weird "this carpet should really be shampooed" smell.

9. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements