front wheel bolts
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: front wheel bolts

crv|oc Rank: Member

Question front wheel bolts

I broke a front wheel lug nut bolt. I took off the rotor , I took off the large nut in the middle and I still can not get the rotor off that holds the 5 lug bolts on. I can not knock the broken one out , without removing this rotor, because of the clearance with the front hub, I removed the brake rotor and caliber. This rotor is behind the brake rotor and holds the 5 lug nut bolts on, this is a 97 honda crv.
    Last edited by woodsyal; 02-25-2008 at 07:10 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

You didn't mention, so did you remove the caliper?
    Assuming this is a Honda, there should be a couple of countersunk machine screws holding the rotor on.
    07 V EX-L Whistler Silver
    99 Dakota 300 hp 5.2
    92 Bravada gets a reprieve, it will become the twins driver.
    88 LeSabre T 27k mi
    08 Silverado Z71 Company Truck, significant improvements over previous generation.

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    theres a screw holding the rotor on. u need a impact hammer to take it off.
    2000 CRV rallycross (weekend car)
    2001 Nissan Frontier (everyday driver)

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v203/dlarsoncrv/

David.

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Woodsyal,

Per you first post, if I read it correctly, you have the brake rotor and brake caliper off, is that correct? I understand what you need to do (replace a broken wheel lug nut stud) and if you are correct, that the wheel hub needs to come off for clearance to get a new stud in, than you need to remove knuckle assembly. I say this based off looking at my Honda factory service manual for my 1998 CR-V (covers 97-2000). Now I'm not telling you that is what is required to change a wheel stud. If Honda Tech sees your post, or if you PM him he may be able to tell you exactly what to do to remove and replace a broken wheel stud. If you do in fact need to remove the front wheel hub to get a new stud in than you will need to remove the entire knuckle assembly and press off the wheel hub, once off you could press out the broken stud, press in a new stud and then press the wheel hub back on to the kunckle assemble. This seems like an awful lot of work to replace a broken wheel stud, but I did not see a specific procedure in the manual for a lug bolt replacement, could have missed it though. Hope this is of help to you. Russ
    98 V 200K miles

I have never really looked at the CRV's hub and lugs. The hub is what is holding all five of the lugs behind the brake rotor. On my Prelude, instead of removing the whole hub assembly, and I learned this from watching a friend, you can cut the old lug stud in half and then hammer it out the back of the hub. So you are at this point missing a lug.

On the Prelude, the new stud will not fit in due to an overlap of the lug stud and the back of the hub. Easily remedied by sawing a couple millimeters off the head of the lug stud. It then slides right in.

You might want to see if this would work for the CRV. Stripped lugs happen a lot. I have replaced many lugs this way. It is obviously not in the manual, nor recommended by Honda. However, I have been told this is exactly what a tire shop will do if they strip one of your lugs.

crv|oc Rank: Silver
    Hope this helps.

99 V 151k miles, 04 V 62k miles - Both red, of course.

On my integra i broke one stud and then another broke a few months later causing my wheel to slap against the hub around corners.
    i had to get it fixed right

they had to press the wheel bearings out of the hub and ruin the bearings in the process. It was sort of costly, about $180 for new lugs, bearings and labor at a reputable shop.

I dont know if this is the proper procedure for the V but I would not recommend cutting part of the stud in half to get it back in.

If you can, do it the right way for your own safety.
    good luck
    2003 CR-V with nothing but plans for the future

When I say cut, I am talking about approximately two millimeters off the head of #21 so that it will slide into #5 as illustrated above.

This is something that has been done repeatedly by the Prelude crowd and I've asked about it at a dealership, they looked and said they wouldn't redo it.

You should not drive with a broken lug. That will cause you to break other lugs most likely.

I personally recommend doing it by the book if you are able.

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Hmm - I have replace few of them (never on Honda though) and there always was enough clearance at certain hub orientation to press old stud out and feed in new one in without going into some major disassembly. I would take out wheel, caliper and rotor and then slowly rotate hub looking fro back side if there is position with opening between knuckle and dust cover (part 18) to push it out. When putting new one do not force it - push it in enough to allow for tire installation and then bring it in with nut - this will allow for proper alignment between hub and stud (and is much easier then trying to swing hammer from under the car and not to hit anything else.
    Last edited by davos; 02-27-2008 at 08:25 PM.

Thats cool Type S
    I am not familiar with the procedure on a prelude
    i had an integra and it was different.
    on the integra this was not possible
    Do what you can and if it is trim 2 mm then go ahead
    be sure to put washers between the nut and stud
    many times on the honda there is not enough room to change studs

good luck
    Last edited by chippergsr; 02-28-2008 at 12:37 AM.
    2003 CR-V with nothing but plans for the future

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements