Error Code P1457
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Error Code P1457

crv|oc Rank: Junior

Angry Error Code P1457

SO today I begin my commute get to a stoplight and look down at my gauge cluster and notice the check engine light on obviously not a good way to start the day. The engine and tranny felt and sounded fine (although the CR-V engine does not make the prettiest noise I have heard, its more like a diesel burning cement mixture) there wasn't a change in 60 mph RPM so I took it to auto zone for a free check the thing comes up with a P1457 and says the possible causes are either a Loose fuel cap, Vapor canister saturated, failed vent solenoid, and failed purge solenoid. I tightened the fuel cap restarted the vehicle multiple times and the light stayed on so I figure it has to be the other things on the list first off what repair costs am I looking at and should I get the problem diagnosed or first replace the solenoids, I figure the solenoids cant be a ton to replace what am I looking at in repair costs. I see this is a common issue the guy gave me a receipt with the codes which had every car he scanned that day most of them had an EVAP problem. Also how much am I looking at to repair a Saturated Vapor canister. Finally will this cause the car to fail inspection, hurt the vehicle's performance and MPG or cause damage or just does it mean I am polluting a little more. Thanks I know its kind of unorganized but I am a little tiffed about this just glad it's not the throttle body gotta think positive
    Last edited by Davecr-v; 03-11-2008 at 04:46 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    P1457 means that a fault has been detected on the cannister side of the EVAP system (a P1456 would be the gas tank side of the system). Honda does NOT set "saturated charcoal cannister" DTC's.

These can be difficult DTC's to pinpoint, simply because there are a lot of areas within the system that need to be tested. Newer models have added about 7 evap system codes to try and narrow the fault.

It would be extremely difficult for a DIY'er to accurately diagnose this fault. I have a hard enough time trying to explain to the guys at work (who have attended Honda's "school" and have access to a scan tool) how to diagnose these systems accurately.

As far as polluting, it is more likely that the failure is due to the system being unable to accurately seal itself while performing it's onboard diagnostic than an actual "leak" - unless rodents have chewed through a vent line somewhere.

I know the last thing you want to hear is "take it to a dealer" but unless you want to start throwing parts at the problem, that would be the best recourse.

JD
    Success is 99% failure
    -Soichiro Honda

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    -Winston Churchill

Motorcycle Riding in West Virginia

crv|oc Rank: Silver
    I believe that you would be covered under the emissions warranty, which, If I recall correctly, goes to 80,000 miles? Plus, add in your 3% Honda odometer settlement warranty, which takes you to 82,400...
    99 V 151k miles, 04 V 62k miles - Both red, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by 2RedV's View Post
    I believe that you would be covered under the emissions warranty, which, If I recall correctly, goes to 80,000 miles? Plus, add in your 3% Honda odometer settlement warranty, which takes you to 82,400...
    Yeah but I am a second owner I bought the car used, I took it to my mechanic he said it sould be a leak of some sort or another problem and I should take it to honda for a Diagnostic he reset the check engine light and it hasn't re appeared so I am thinking it could have been a loose gas cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Davecr-v View Post
    Yeah but I am a second owner I bought the car used, I took it to my mechanic he said it sould be a leak of some sort or another problem and I should take it to honda for a Diagnostic he reset the check engine light and it hasn't re appeared so I am thinking it could have been a loose gas cap.
    The emissions warranty doesn't matter if you are the 10th owner. Go to a dealer and go thru the process if you want any real issues fixed, for free.

Quote Originally Posted by 2RedV's View Post
    The emissions warranty doesn't matter if you are the 10th owner. Go to a dealer and go thru the process if you want any real issues fixed, for free.
    Wow thats great and I am assuming EVAP is covered because it's an emission component I am going to head to the local honda dealer friday night if the check engine light resurfaces, my mechanic turned it off today and apparently this error can be caused by a loose gas cap I had a fill up the day before the light came on and in the autozone parking lot the cap felt loose I clicked it closed hopefully thats the problem becase I need my car.

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Wow thats great and I am assuming EVAP is covered because it's an emission component I am going to head to the local honda dealer friday night if the check engine light resurfaces, my mechanic turned it off today and apparently this error can be caused by a loose gas cap I had a fill up the day before the light came on and in the autozone parking lot the cap felt loose I clicked it closed hopefully thats the problem becase I need my car.
    46* State emissions warranty for 2004 was 3/36. The PCM and Catalytic Convertor are covered 8/80 for that year.

A loose gas cap will NOT cause a P1457, it would cause a P1456.

Both P1457 and P1456 are two-trip diagnostics - the fault has to be present and cause a failure on two separate trips before the MIL will be illuminated. The EVAP diagnostics do not run on every trip - they are dependant on a number of enable criteria before the diagnostic monitor will run. Clearing the light and not having it come back on right away means nothing. It could be a few days or even a few weeks depending on how the vehicle is being operated before the diagnostic fails twice.

My favorite EVAP systems story involves a vehicle with 1700 miles on it that came in after it was delivered with the customer complaining about a noise coming from the left rear of the vehicle. The EVAP cannister had NOT BEEN INSTALLED at the factory, and the noise was from the EVAP lines flopping around. The MIL was not illuminated because the customer's driving conditions precluded the EVAP monitor from running. I don't think it could be any more "broken" than the critical part not even existing on the vehicle, yet the nature of the diagnostics for the EVAP system did not allow a trouble code to set.

* Maine, Massachusetts and Vermont have been Californicated. Even so, the EVAP system components would carry new vehicle warranty 3/50 coverge
    Last edited by Honda Tech; 03-13-2008 at 07:39 AM.
    Success is 99% failure
    -Soichiro Honda

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    -Winston Churchill

Motorcycle Riding in West Virginia

As always, a clear concise explanation. Thanks Honda Tech.

Can someone explain what the hell the EVAP system does besides lower the emissions why do I need it fixed I don't care if I pollute a bit more as long as I pass inspection.

Can someone explain what the hell the EVAP system does besides lower the emissions why do I need it fixed I don't care if I pollute a bit more as long as I pass inspection.
    Good point. We don't have inspections around me and I would certainly feel the same way.

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements