2013 CRV battery drain
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2013 CRV battery drain

crv|oc Rank: Member

2013 CRV battery drain

I got a brand new 2013 CRV in August 2013 (about 4 months now). Today, when I wanted to go home from work, it didn't start. It sounded like a dead battery. I got help from a co-worker to jump start my car and it started right up. The "Charging System Indicator" doesn't light up. Once I got home, I tried re-starting the car twice and it worked fine.

I was just wondering what could be the reason that the battery got drained? There is nothing plugged in, doors were properly shut, no interior lights left on, no exterior lights on. I do however have a remote starter installed when I bought the car. Could it be that the remote starter slowly draining the battery? However, once, I left the car at the airport for almost a week and it started just fine. So, I am not sure what's wrong.

I would appreciate any help on this matter.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Senior
    We bought our '13 EX in Aug also.
    We have @3k miles on it now and haven't had a problem with the battery staying charged.

Some questions for you:
    How long is your commute?
    Do you use your lights during your commute?
    Does the remote starter draw current when the car is 'off'?

How many miles are on the car now?
    How many were on it when it was left at the airport?

Just trying to get an idea of what circumstances the car has been used under/subjected to in order to get an idea of why it is not charging the battery properly.

Did you maybe leave a light on?

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    I have a 2013 too, bought in August and I wonder if it has anything to do with the battery problem the 2012's have had. Hope not.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

I've had my 2013 since August as well and have not had any issues with the battery. You could always take it in to Honda and have them check it and other things like the alternator. If you want to pay for them to do that of course.
    2013 EX-L White Diamond Pearl

hood deflector | running boards | splash guards | tailgate spoiler | body side molding | chrome exhaust tip | chrome tailgate garnish | engine cover | weathertech window visors | weathertech cargo liner | husky weatherbeater floor liners | lower bumper steel mesh insert | low tone horn | philips daylight 4 led drl

I think the problem might be the new system that is called "multi-stage charging system." The alternator is controlled by a computer program that decides, from how the car is driven and the electrical loads placed on it and the charge state, how much to charge it. Like any such system it is a compromise of desires. I believe it can be reprogrammed (flashed) to work better. It's under warranty, why not let Honda figure it out. There is another system that cuts back on the parasitic drains on the battery after it determines that the car is not being used for a period of time. It can fail for a number of reasons. Commonly a door switch not working but many others.
    The systems are getting so intermingled, that I would not be surprised to find that the remote starter is a culprit, even if Honda installed it.
    Last edited by fixer; 12-06-2013 at 08:44 AM.

Thanks for all your replies. Just an update, last night when I got home, I borrowed a battery charger from a friend and this morning it started easily. I decided to turn off all the dome lights (front and trunk), the radio and the middle console. I will see what happen at the end of the day today. Hopefully, it is okay.

One contributing factor may be the weather. I live in a town part of Saskatchewan, Canada and yesterday it was about minus 20C maybe felt like minus 30C (today, it's minus 30C feel like minus 39C). However, all my co-workers' cars seem to be okay and yes we do have to use block heater here.

I know that it's still under warranty, but the closest Honda dealer is about 3 hours drive away. So, it's not easy for me. I will see what happen in the next few days or a week. If it's still acting up, I will have no choice but to bring it to the dealer.

@20CRVEX13: My commute to work is about 12 km one way (2/3 of it, is at highway speed, 100 km/h) and yes I presently use lights during my commute. My car is about 5,200 km right now, when I left it at the airport, it might be at around 3,000 km. I don't know whether or not the remote starter is drawing any power when the engine is off.

@the_honder: I don't believe I left the lights on. However, if I am not mistaken, I believe the car has a sensor to automatically turn off the lights when the engine is off (I never tried this one though). My worry is that may be the dome light at the trunk didn't turn off or something. That's why now I turn all the dome lights off.

@Grumpypants: What battery problem does the 2012 have? Can you give me a link?

I'll bet you've been slowly draining the battery and not giving it enough run time to recharge given the environmental conditions you cite. Cold cranking will take more power from the battery than say, 50*F temps will, you're running the lights and I'll bet the heater blower is on too, along with the radio. Over time the battery just hasn't been charged up enough vs running all the accessories + having to crank the starter in that real cold climate of yours.

we have one of these in all our honda's, already an almost new honda got stuck as gas station, jumper started it immediately and swapped out battery with a backup unit the same day

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by ttkian View Post
    @Grumpypants: What battery problem does the 2012 have? Can you give me a link?
    Sorry... Here is the link:

2012 CR-V Battery Dying Computer Flash

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements