Tire Pressure Warning Question
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tire Pressure Warning Question

crv|oc Rank: Freshman

Tire Pressure Warning Question

My low tire pressure warning light went on this week.
    I checked the pressure on all four tires and they all read 35 lbs.
    It was a hot day, so I allowed for increased tire pressure.
    I added approx 5 secondss -worth of air to each tire, but the tire warning light is still on.

Any ideas on this?

Thanks for your help, guys!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Well you should've checked the pressure after you pumped more air and did you turn off the car before you pumped the tires? Try setting it at around 37 lbs.

crv|oc Rank: Silver

Tpms

There are actually two warning lights. One is a low tire warning and it looks like a yellow cut away of a tire with exclamation point. The second is a system failure and it is yellow letters "TPMS". If you have a low tire the cut away tire symbol should be displayed.

If you see TPMS, it is a system failure. Do not add air (overinflate) to your tires when you see TPMS, but make sure they are at least at the recommended pressure.

Which light do you have displayed?

The sensors are in the valve stems in the wheels. Did you get new wheels (even with sensors, the system has to be reset to identify and recognize the new sensors)? Put the spare on? Even rotating tires can cause the system to fail to recognize the sensors. Foam for fixing flats can screw up the sensors also and should not be used.

I agree with cr-vtec, check your tire pressure. Do not exceed the maximum pressure stated on the side wall, which will probably be a good bit above the pressure you want for a comfortable ride. Personally I don't believe you should have to ride around on rock to keep a stupid light off.

BTW if you go to the dealer about a low tire indication and they find a low tire, they may charge you. Honda does not consider low tires a warranty issue. False alarms are, but not an actual low tire. So be sure that your tires are at least 30 psi before going to the dealer. If your TPMS light (system failure) is on, do not overinflate your tires but make sure they are at least 30 psig (or whatever is on the tire pressure label on your drivers door jam).

Let us know what light you have and what the solution is.

How's the cheese hats?
    Last edited by Black Pearl; 06-16-2008 at 11:25 PM.
    The Black Pearl . . . 2007 EX, 4WD, 5AT, Nighthawk Black Pearl

Being Irish he had an abiding sense of tragedy which sustained him through temporary periods of joy. W. B. Yeats

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

Hi again,

Well, I checked the tire pressure on all four tires this morning before I drove.
    Cold tire pressures were at 30lbs on the two front and 35lbs on the rear.

I went to the gas station a mile down the road and filled the two front tires to 32lbs.

The check tire pressure light is still on.
    (Black Pearl, it is the cut-away tire with the exclamation point)

I have not changed or rotated the tires. The car is 2 months old with original factory tires. Tire pressure is supposed to be at 30lbs.

Am I just being too wimpy about the pressure I am filling the tires at?
    How high can I go without compromising the tires?

I'm pretty new at this stuff, so thanks in advance for being patient and helpful with such a basic maintenance question...

Tire Pressure

The cutaway tire with the exclamation point is the low tire warning and not a system warning. So your car is sensing a low tire. What may have happened is that the dealer jacked up the pressure when on delivery to keep the stupid light off. Tires will loose 1 or 2 psi over a period of month. So the tire probably lost enough pressure to set off the warning light.

I would jack the pressure up to 35 psig on all four and take it back to the dealer and moan complain. As I mentioned before you don't want to take it in with a low tire, they can charge you. So if you got it at 35 that will give you some leeway in case your gauge reads high. Some of the members keep their tires that high for better fuel economy. The trade off is a harder ride, somewhat more jarring. Also if you get the tires too high the surface in contact with the road becomes rounded, high in middle & low at the sidewalls resulting in more tire wear in the center of the tread and reduced handling.

As far as the maximum pressure, you will have to look at the tire. I have Bridgestone Duelers and the max pressure is 44 psig. The problem is when the tires heat up the pressure increases. So you can't put 44 psig in them in hopes of turning off the light. The owners manual state that tires can gain 4 to 6 psig when they heat up. I would be reluctant to put more than 37 psi in your tires.

Wimpiness is not the issue here. Your TPMS is malfunctioning. You have the right to run the tires at 30 psig per manufacturer's recommendation. No where does it tell you to over-inflate the tires to turn the damned light off.

Here is what your manual says on page 258

If you cannot make the low tire
    pressure indicator go out after
    inflating the tires to the specified
    values,
    have your dealer check the
    system as soon as possible.

Specified value would be 30 psig. The only reason I say raise them to 35 is to avoid errors in your gauge allowing them to be low and the dealer charges you.

So take it back and tell them that you want tires at 30 psig and the stinking light off. You shouldn't have to over inflate the tire to turn off the light.

Being Irish he had an abiding sense of tragedy which sustained him through temporary periods of joy. W. B. Yeats

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

Thumbs up Works For Me...

Geez, I was wondering about that.

It just didn't make sense that the tires would read at 30+ psi and the darn warning light wouldn't go off.

Great advice - I'll re-check the tires this morning and call the dealer today.

Very cool and helpful advice - as always.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Just an update...

Had the car into the dealer yesterday.
    Nice experience. Everyone very helpful and polite.

As it turned out, the mechanic told me that there is an open bulletin that the tire pressure sensors have been known to fail, so they isolated the faulty sensor and replaced it - no charge.

Good to go and still enjoying my CRV!

Success!

Don the cheese hats! A success story! Great! Glad to hear all went well, and your green baby is now warning light free.

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Veddy veddy intellesting!

I wonder if they are using different sensor brands for different pressure ratings. The Ridge TPMS sensors are set for 26 psig and don't seem to have a failure history to date (based on posts at the ROC). The ones for my wife's Pilot don't seem to do this either.
    Mike/10 2WD CR-V LX Opal Sage/05 Pilot EX-L Dark Green/07 Ridgeline RTX Dark Cherry Pearl

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Engyo View Post
    Veddy veddy intellesting!

I wonder if they are using different sensor brands for different pressure ratings. The Ridge TPMS sensors are set for 26 psig and don't seem to have a failure history to date (based on posts at the ROC). The ones for my wife's Pilot don't seem to do this either.
    There are a number of different TPMS sensors depending on the year and model of vehicle. With out checking them all i am guessing at 10-12 different part numbers between Honda and Acura.

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements