Camshaft Postion Sensor Bank A
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Camshaft Postion Sensor Bank A

JT1
    crv|oc Rank: Member

Camshaft Postion Sensor Bank A

Can anybody help, i have a 2003 CR-V automatic, a couple of months ago the engine management light came on and when the fault code was read it came back as camshaft position sensor bank "A". I had the sensor changed at a garage i have used for years and trust. The car ran fine up until last week and the light has come back, when the fault code is read it comes back as the sensor again or a problem with the timing between the crankshaft sensor and the camshaft sensors. When the vehicle log is read the fault seems to be triggered when the car is first started and driven from cold. Any ideas would be welcomed, i do not want to keep changing sensors, or adjusting timing chains if it is not the reason for the fault. Thanks in advance John

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Have your shop pull the cylinder head cover off and verify that the camshafts are properly timed - if you are getting a P0341 DTC. This DTC is often symptomatic of a stretched timing chain / the chain has jumped a tooth. If that's the case, the chain and tensioner should be replaced, the guides should be inspected for wear and replaced if necessary. Pretty simple job really.
    Success is 99% failure
    -Soichiro Honda

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    -Winston Churchill

Motorcycle Riding in West Virginia

Everything in Moderation Carbuff2's Avatar
    Honda Tech,

What mileage does a stretched timing chain start to affect the engine?

Have you seen many of these?
    Atwell "Buff" Haines
    '06 AWD CR-V, 5 speed MT!
    '07 Fit Sport, 5 speed MT!
    NJ

In theory, there is no difference between Theory and Practice. In practice, there is. - Yogi Berra

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Carbuff2,

I've had a couple of '03 Accords, one CR-V and one Element that were setting cam/crank phase faults.

All came in with the only complaint being the MIL was illuminated - no concerns raised about drivability / performance.

All had jumped a tooth, all had poor oil change history and a lot of varnish build-up on the internal engine surfaces.

As I recall, they were all in the 50/60k range on miles.

I did not actually bother to measure any of the chains to determine how stretched they might have been - it would be pointless IMO to consider re-using a chain that had jumped.

It would appear that the varnished conditions resulted in the auto-tensioners being just sticky enough to prevent proper control of chain back-slack during certain accel/coast/accel operations, and the chains floated and skipped.

I have 157k on my '03 Element, and have no concerns about my timing chain.
    Success is 99% failure
    -Soichiro Honda

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    -Winston Churchill

Motorcycle Riding in West Virginia

Everything in Moderation Carbuff2's Avatar
    <<<WHEW>>>

Thanks
    Atwell "Buff" Haines
    '06 AWD CR-V, 5 speed MT!
    '07 Fit Sport, 5 speed MT!
    NJ

In theory, there is no difference between Theory and Practice. In practice, there is. - Yogi Berra

7. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements