Ugh...Problem moving gear shift from Park!
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ugh...Problem moving gear shift from Park!

crv|oc Rank: Member

Exclamation Ugh...Problem moving gear shift from Park!

I have an 02 CR-V Ex with about 75000 miles. Since yesterday I have been having problems moving my gear shift from the park position to any other gear. The first few times it seemed to move after the 2nd or 3rd attempt. Now it seems not to want to move at all until I turn off and restart the car. I have no idea what is going on here. Any suggestions? Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    when you say "move", you mean u cannot press the release button or you cannot move the shift lever down/up?

are you stepping on the brake pedal properly so it releases the lock?
    did you check the tranny fluid?

are u parked on an hill facing up or down? if yes, did you engage your parking brake?
    some people park on a hill and dont engage the parking brake and they have a hard time shifting into reverse or drive coz the tranny is acting as the parking brake. not a good practice.
    Last edited by jeprox; 07-04-2008 at 10:50 PM.

I mean I cannot move the lever down to put it into drive, reverse etc...

Quote Originally Posted by jeprox View Post
    when you say "move", you mean u cannot press the release button or you cannot move the shift lever down/up?

are you stepping on the brake pedal properly so it releases the lock?
    did you check the tranny fluid?

are u parked on an hill facing up or down? if yes, did you engage your parking brake?
    some people park on a hill and dont engage the parking brake and they have a hard time shifting into reverse or drive coz the tranny is acting as the parking brake. not a good practice.
    Sorry I didn't see your last questions...

I depressed the break as usual...
    I checked the level of transmission fluid which seemed ok, as for the the cleanliness, I don't know.
    I'm parked on a flat surface. The parking break was engaged.

Thanks for your input...

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    it could be the the lock mechanism is acting up or it's about ready to give.
    if your fluid is ok, u step on the brakes properly - i would guess it's the button (lock mechanism) on the lever.

crv|oc Rank: Silver

Check Your Brake Lights

No, I am not completely out of my mind, partially yes, but not completely. On the newer models (not sure about an 02) there is a solenoid operated plunger that a switch on the brake pedal operates. It prevents you from putting the car in gear without your foot on the brake pedal. I am assuming it is the same switch that operates the brake lights. If the brake lights are not coming on then either the fuse or the switch is bad and it will not retract the plunger and hold the car in park. If you have brake lights, turn the key on but don't start the engine. Step on and off the brake and listen near the shift lever for the plunger operating. If you can't hear it, the solenoid may be bad.

When you do find out what is wrong, please let us know. Its how we learn.

Welcome to the club and good luck with your problem.
    Last edited by Black Pearl; 07-05-2008 at 08:53 AM.
    The Black Pearl . . . 2007 EX, 4WD, 5AT, Nighthawk Black Pearl

Being Irish he had an abiding sense of tragedy which sustained him through temporary periods of joy. W. B. Yeats

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

Everything in Moderation Carbuff2's Avatar
    After restarting, Does the lever move as freely (prior to the problem) as it did before? Might be a problem with the interlock switch then.

Sometimes it is beneficial to spray the area under the gearshift if the movement is just sluggish. But that would not account for the Key-on-and-Off allowing you to start the car.
    Atwell "Buff" Haines
    '06 AWD CR-V, 5 speed MT!
    '07 Fit Sport, 5 speed MT!
    NJ

In theory, there is no difference between Theory and Practice. In practice, there is. - Yogi Berra

I'm new to this site, first time posting a reply...

I have the same problem, I can't shift out of park! I read the manual and it mentions to use the shift lock release button if this problems occurs. I followed the procedure, and then it was OK. But the problem has happened 3-4 times, each time I need to use the shift lock release button.

I have a 2008 CR-V, just got it a couple of months ago, it has only 2500 km It's odd that this is happening to a brand new CR-V.

I pressed the brake, as suggested in one of the replies. I didn't check the tranny fluid, I could look into that, but I would be surprised since the vehicle only has 2500 km.

In any case, I made an appoinment with the dealer. Hopefully they'll get to the bottom of this. I'll you you posted.

Thanks!

MECP Audio Expert
    I was going to say with that new a crv, def go to the dealer, and get that fixed under warranty.

crv|oc Rank: Senior

have had this happen too.

Quote Originally Posted by mtl16 View Post
    I'm new to this site, first time posting a reply...

I have the same problem, I can't shift out of park! I read the manual and it mentions to use the shift lock release button if this problems occurs. I followed the procedure, and then it was OK. But the problem has happened 3-4 times, each time I need to use the shift lock release button.

I have a 2008 CR-V, just got it a couple of months ago, it has only 2500 km It's odd that this is happening to a brand new CR-V.

I pressed the brake, as suggested in one of the replies. I didn't check the tranny fluid, I could look into that, but I would be surprised since the vehicle only has 2500 km.

In any case, I made an appoinment with the dealer. Hopefully they'll get to the bottom of this. I'll you you posted.

Thanks!
    Try applying the parking brake BEFORE you put the transmission into park. I bet this will cure your problem.

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements