Dipstick/oil tube came loose
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dipstick/oil tube came loose

crv|oc Rank: Member

Dipstick/oil tube came loose

I have a 2001 CR-V, and had the oil changed the other day. I went to check the oil a few days later, and the tube that the dipstick goes into, came off with it when I pulled it out.

I'm not sure if all the CR-V's are built the same, but my dipstick goes into a hole in the heat shield that covers the exhaust manifold on the front of the engine.

I had to take the heat shield off (a pain!) and stick the tube back in, and it is still loose now. Has anyone had or heard of this problem? And any idea what I can do about it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Everything in Moderation Carbuff2's Avatar
    Dipstick tubes are usually a press fit into the engine block.

But, some JB Weld (an industrial strength epoxy) might secure it again. (Available in auto parts stores...ASK)

Be sure to clean everything up well before gluing.
    Atwell "Buff" Haines
    '06 AWD CR-V, 5 speed MT!
    '07 Fit Sport, 5 speed MT!
    NJ

In theory, there is no difference between Theory and Practice. In practice, there is. - Yogi Berra

I had the same exact happen to me on a recently purchased used '01 LX. Honda should have used a retainer. Very poor design, IMO.

Also happened to my '01. Seems to be very common, based on the number of posts I've seen on this. And yes, it is just a press fit.

Problem is, it is hard to get good access to it to get a good "press" (even after removing the exhaust manifold shield), unless you feel like tackling the exhaust manifold itself.

Here is what I tried (has held for about a month or so now - knock on wood):

Removed the exhaust manifold shield (while engine was hot - bolts came out easier). After engine cooled, I cleaned everything up. I put the filler tube in the freezer overnight - (don't tell my wife). Next day I warmed the engine up until everything was hot.

Wearing gloves and a thick shirt (the exhaust manifold gets very HOT and you are in very close contact with it), I pushed the (cold) tube into the hot engine block. I had also previously located a (12 in. or so) wooden dowel that gave me something to tap the base of the filler tube home (using a hammer). Cold tube into hot engine block seems to have worked.

I agree, very poor design by Honda (but everyone gets some things wrong)

By the way I also replaced a couple of the (very rusted) exhaust manifold shield bolts, so that, if necessary, it will be easier to remove next time.

Good Job Crabman. I ordered a new one from the dealership and compared the two. The old one only had some surface rust which I cleaned up using a wire wheel.

I then removed the exhaust shield (which has to come off) and got lucky I didn't snap any bolts. From there, I cleaned up the hole and surrounding area where the tube goes and took a box-end wrench that was just the right size to go over the lip of the base. I then took a long round bar I had laying around and hammered on the box-end. I was then going to jb-weld the base of the tube to the block.......but after pulling on the tube..... it wasn't coming out. It took about 15 to 20 minutes and the tube is in there pretty good.

BTW, I returned the new part back to the dealership.

The dipstick tube came off :/

I was checking the oil today on a 2001 EX. I pulled the dipstick out and the metal tube that protrudes from the engine came out with it.

Nothing looked broken. That is, that tube wasn't broken, sheared, or corroded. It looks like a press-fit into the engine.

It took some time and delightful language, but I eventually got it back in and pressed it down. It seems that, depending on how I reinsert the dipstick, it can pull that tube off again.

What's the remedy for this? The tube itself is covered by a piece of sheetmetal.

Quite a few other people have had this happen to them also. I would say get a new dipstick.

Is it the dipstick that's causing the problem? It seems odd for that tube to come out so easily. Does anything need to be done to secure the tube?

Loose Dipstick tube 2001 CRV

If anyone has any luck on a part number for this please reply...Honda told me it is part of the engine block and have to replace the whole block...Thieves

Mine is a 2001 CRV..I presume it is an LX but only says CRV on the car..I just noticed today that the tube was loose and will move from side to side not up and down. I have not removed the heat shield yet but might try tomorrow..

One thing I noticed on-line is that there are B20B and B20Z models..Wonder if the dipstick tube is the same on all B20s.. I wonder if there is a possibility of
    this tube being broke at the base but will have to work on that..

I find it totally rediculous to have to purchase the whole engine block on a Honda motor with 125,000 miles that has always been well maintained...Not sure if I'll buy any more Hondas ...We've had 7 in the past years and this is the first time I have seen anything like this..

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements