Darn that check engine light!
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Darn that check engine light!

crv|oc Rank: Member

Darn that check engine light!

Hi there!

We have a '99 CRV with 118,000 miles on it that's had it's regular service checkups as needed, though we only purchased it a few weeks ago. A few days ago when our check engine light went on we immediately checked the gas cap, which definitely needed tightening.

According to the manual it'll take three trips for the light to turn off, another site though said 25 miles. How long should we wait before schelpping to the dealer? Also, the brake light is sometimes on when the brake is NOT, so I'm skeptical of these lights now...

Another factor: just after purchasing the car we moved and drove it from FL to MN... not sure if that temperature change might make a difference too? The check engine incident was a good several days after arriving in MN.

Since the light came on we also got an oil change.

Thanks for your help in solving this mystery!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    First thing you need to do is get the DTC read. That will point you in the direction of getting the light extinguished. With the 1999 you need to be aware of valve adjustments. The valves on your year engine need to be checked for adjustment approximately every 30K miles. DO NOT LOOK AT WHAT THE OWNERS MANUAL STATES, trust those of us on this site when we tell you 30K miles. Ignoring this advice can be at the risk of needing to replace the head, which can cost you as much as $3000. So do yourself a favor, get the code read (Autozone does it for free) and then search the forum for help and report back here. Lots of luck, Russ.
    98 V 200K miles

crv|oc Rank: Member

Checked it out

OK, it came up as a P0740, TCC failure. When I unplugged the scanner and restarted the car the light disappeared, when I scanned it again no code came up. The guy at Advance Auto told me I should be fine but if the light comes on again take the car to a tranny shop. It's been about a week, so far so good and I'm not having any trouble with the transmission other than those funny shifting bugs that seem -- from my research and experience -- typical for a car this big with a four cylinder engine and that have been there from the get go.

Whaddaya think?

5. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements