2008 CR-V road noise?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2008 CR-V road noise?

crv|oc Rank: Member

2008 CR-V road noise?

I got my new CR-V EX-L (no nav, Glacier Blue) a couple weeks ago, and one thing (only) has been disappointing. There seems to be a really high degree of road noise transmitted into the cabin. I didn't notice that when I test drove the CR-V (different vehicle) and when my wife drove this CR-V before we bought it, my attention wasn't on road noise.

My question is whether high level of road noise is normal in the CR-V. Wind noise is negligible, and otherwise the vehicle is exactly as I expected it to be.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

it's a known issue

there are several threads on this website about road noise... I didn't notice it either when test driving it but now that I think about it I can see why... the dealer was talking the whole time and I was so excited I didn't really think about it. If you look up the consumer report on the 08' CRV it states the road noise is kind of high. That's my one complaint too.... but the way I see it... if this is the only big flaw.... I can deal with it. It's still a excellent quality car.
    2011 Glacier Blue EXL 2WD

In most cases, road noise is due to the tires, so if that's what is causing it, it can be reduced with quieter running tires. I have the Bridgestone H/Ts on mine and it has some road noise, but not terrible. When I replace the tires I will most likely go with a set of the new Michelin Cross Terrain SL, which are supposed to be a low rolling resistant tire. The Cross Terrains are also a pretty quiet running tire as well, so hopefully I'll improve my MPG while reducing road noise!
    2008 Taffta White 4WD CRV EX-L w/Navi
    2007 Taffta White Fit Sport

crv|oc Rank: Silver

Welcome To The Club!

Welcome to club. Wow the only thing you are disappointed in is the road noise? Great. There are a number of things about this car that I really despise, and yet I really like the car. Actually the road noise don't really bother me, but yes it is loud, and as TKCRV08 noted, it has been mentioned in numerous reviews.

The reason you may have not noticed the road noise during the road test is that the road noise is variable. If I drive on smooth asphalt there is very little road noise. If I drive on rough concrete, it gets a good bit louder. When driving on oil & chip, a favorite of our cheap Penn Dot here in the Keystone State, the noise is horrific. So if your dealer was clever, he may have directed you on roads that provided little road noise, which may be the reason you didn't notice it. In any event, I doubt that your V is louder than any other. You may have been on good pavement, and let's face it, people miss a lot of things on road tests, and dealers do love to chat it up while you are on the road test. I don't think that is by accident!

There have been a lot threads about tires reducing the noise levels, but I remember a good bit of conflicting advice. Welcome to the club and good luck with your new V. I hope the road noise is the only thing you find annoying!
    The Black Pearl . . . 2007 EX, 4WD, 5AT, Nighthawk Black Pearl

Being Irish he had an abiding sense of tragedy which sustained him through temporary periods of joy. W. B. Yeats

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Check your tire pressure as some members have found theirs over inflated and have stated that at 30 psi noise and harshness seem to be reduced.They have also said that after the factory tires wear out which will be sooner than you think and they replaced them with certain brands the noise is reduced. Welcome to the club.
    A foolish man speaks when he has nothing to say and a wise man listens when he has nothing to hear.

Thanks

I appreciate the feedback. I had checked the tire inflation earlier and it was to spec, so that's an easy fix gone. I guess I'll have to see how much it bothers me for a while... adding sound dampening looks to be a major undertaking. Not sure I'm that ambitious, and also not sure who other than myself I'd trust to do that intrusive of a project. Thanks again.

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    I don't mind the road noise too much, as that is why there is the SCV feature (Speed Compensated Volume) in the radio.

I'd love to add a sound dampening material in the floor and doors, but I've never heard how much that adds to the overall weight of the vehicle. But, it would be nice as the doors on the CR-V seem paper thin.
    Last edited by X-Brawn; 09-14-2008 at 06:31 PM.
    FAMILY RIDES:
    Mine - 2008 Borrego Beige Metallic Honda CR-V EX
    Family Car - 2008 Glacier Blue Metallic Honda CR-V LX
    The OTHER Car - 1998 Antique Sage Toyota Camry XE

I haven't noticed too much road noise. It's not as quiet as a Cadillac, by comparison, but it's no F-350 Ford Diesel, either. Incidentally, they apparently put something like Dyna-mat under the carpet and foam underneath the sheet metal panels to dampen road noise.

I find road noise depends on the surface you are driving. Sometimes I notice it, sometimes I don't.

Most of the car mags report the road noise it's not too bad, if you remove the rear storage shelf then you can hear more of the road noise as it gets louder. The problem with me is that the radio is too loud to hear the noise.

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements